Sr. Food Technologist, R&D - San Leandro, CA
The Senior Food Technologist is a developer of new food offerings for ARYZTA. The Sr. Food Technologist is a subject matter expert in his/her field of development and in the processes required for commercializing those products. The Sr. Food Technologist reports to the R&D/Commercialization Manager level or above and may also have Food Technologists and/or Food Technicians reporting to him/her. There is no budgetary responsibility for the Sr. Food Technologist other than to develop within any given price range. Also, the Sr. Food Technologist is responsible for managing his/her expenses in a timely and frugal manner.
· New Product Development Initiatives (customer centric and blue sky):
1. Understanding of customer expectations, project objectives, and target consumer
2. Ability to conduct a competitive analysis of customer’s current supplier and competitive offerings.
3. Understanding of current and upcoming trends.
4. Extensive understanding of existing production capabilities and processes across relevant categories.
5. Detailed understanding of functionality of ingredients.
6. Ability to develop new prototypes on aggressive timelines and specific restrictions. (Example of restrictions: maximum cost per unit, specific labelling requirements such as “natural,” specific shelf life requirements, etc.)
7. Maintain detailed records of work.
8. Ability to conduct an effective sensory evaluation, analyse the results, and use learnings in future development.
9. Plan and execute line trials including procuring ingredients, communicating and planning with bakery team, and providing cost, change request, and technical documentation.
10. Effective communication across interdepartmental teams
11. Ability to present to internal and external customers, and explain the niche the food product will satisfy – be able to speak clearly and thoroughly about our foods as a representative of Aryzta.
· Transition Initiatives
1. Ability to use top level project goals to analyse objectives, develop a plan, and successfully execute transitions as project lead within project schedule and quality expectations.
· Continuous Improvement of Current Offerings
1. Knowledgeable of upcoming health trends.
2. Working with suppliers, regulatory, marketing, and operations to update formulations to meet current external and internal customer expectations (ex: removal of PHOs, awareness of HFCS and color additives, etc.)
3. Updating documentation and packaging.
· Bakery Technical Resource
1. Provide bakery with updated formulation and specification information.
2. Ability to review and approve alternative ingredient suppliers.
3. Need a complete knowledge of bakery capabilities, knowledge of ingredient functionality, and knowledge of baking process in order to provide an on-the-spot technical solution for current bakery production issues.
4. Attend bakery production runs, as needed, to provide technical knowledge and suggestions for ongoing operations/quality improvement.
· Marketing/Sales Technical Resource
1. Provide the marketing/sales team with information detailing formulation information.
2. Understand and be able to speak about product lines to educate the marketing/sales team.
3. Provide immediate and ongoing information to sales about new product development information in order to meet our customer centric goals.
4. Provide samples as needed.
· R&D/Commercialization Resource
1. Train technologists on category, commercial process, and operations.
2. Technical resource for technologists on projects.
3. Commercialization on-boarding for any new team members on the commercialization team.
4. Understand the background of development projects and be able to provide or search for information regarding prior development initiatives.
· Proficient knowledge of general food quality testing procedures and equipment
1. Colorimeter (Hunter Color Scale)
2. pH testing and understanding of the effects on food.
3. Moisture testing and understanding of the effects on shelf life.
4. Water activity testing and understanding the effects on microbial growth.
5. Physical testing: weight, size, etc.
6. Cooking validations
7. Ability to consolidate this information into effect specifications for quality team.
· Knowledge of Concept to Commercialization processes.
1. Ability to develop under Aryzta’s concept to commercialization process.
2. Meeting schedule deadlines require knowledge of inter-workings of process and interdepartmental communications.
· Ability to self-manage projects.
1. Organization skills
2. Time management skills
3. Leadership skills
4. Communication skills
5. Technical document skills
· Knowledge of Aryzta product offerings in those fields of development responsibility.
· Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
· AA/BA/BS in Food Science or related field required. Additional culinary education preferred
· 2 to 3 years working as an industrial food developer required. Additional culinary development experience preferred.
· Expert grasp of English (verbal and written) required. Fluency in Spanish preferred.
· Proficient knowledge of:
o Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
o SAP and Genesis.
o Understanding of OEC Graphics, Discovery, SharePoint, etc.
· Domestic travel up to 35% of time. Occasional international travel.
· Sound basic math skills required (addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, ease with fractions and decimals).
· Ability to read and understand a basic formula.
· Regularly required to climb, stand or walk for extended periods of time.
· Use a computer keyboard and monitor more than 25% of total work time.
· The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
50 hours per week, no regular hours
San Leandro, California, United States
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com