Determine 3 Major Objectives:
1. Must learn the COTT Quality Systems: The means
learning RealSPC, BPCS, Redbook, HACCP, Water
Treatment, Batching Process, Internal Sanitation, Microbiology, In Process
Quality Checks, and Hold Process.
2. Must learn all aspects of regulations. That means SQF, State, City,
Federal, Kosher, and customer requirements.
3. Utilize the department KPI’s to effectively manage the day to day
activities of the quality personal in order to maximize productivity while
maintaining quality standards.
Develop Sub-objectives to above:
1. Must learn the details of RealSPC.
The supervisor must know how to track and trend data, analysis the data,
enter new products, change specification, and know how to trouble shoot
2. Must learn the details of BPCS. The supervisor must know how to post
shop orders, access Finished Goods reports, access PM’s for printing and
entering completed PM’s, access negative inventory, and know how to perform
a mock recall through the system.
3. Must know the details of the Redbook. The supervisor must practically
understand how the quality data is achieved. The supervisor must physically
test the product and/or physically perform the tasks to fully understand
4. Facilitate departments CPMS process to ensure there is effective
communication across all shifts.
1. Tracking employee productivity as a means to
continuously improve performance and decrease labor cost.
2. Adapt and develop plans to quickly respond to scheduling changes,
including staffing needs in order to ensure timely production of high
quality safe products.
3. Continuously audit product attributes in order to maintain product
safety and quality standards.
Convert technical skills into results:
1. The supervisor needs to understand chemistry
behind all chemical reactions and chemical testing that occurs during each
process step. Must also understand the theories of all equipment that
provide aide to the process.
2. Comprehensive skills within RealSPC and the
use of reporting tools to query, audit and track the following: product
spec limits, product control limits, hold product, employee benchmarks, and
certificates of analysis.
3. Comprehend and utilize the plant financials, fixed and variable costs.
Understand how other cost centers affect QC results, how production volume
affects all costs, and how to manage variable labor.
Understand Team skills:
1. The supervisor will interact cross departmental. The
supervisor will work on Continuous Improvement projects such as yields
improvement, reduction of waste, equipment calibrations, developing lab
technicians, and cost reduction. These projects are lead
by the supervisor and range from 2-10 team members.
2. QC Leadership Team effectively manages to achieve Quality KPIs and CI
project goals. Track and manage costs, reduce waste, employee training, and
maintain department morale.
3. Daily interaction with Self Managed Work
Understand long-term planning and strategy issues:
1. Long term goal is for this supervisor to become
SQF Practitioner and the Quality Manager. Long term the supervisor will be
sent to SQF training. The current SQF practitioner will also provide hands
on experience to ensure success. SQF practitioner training is a build block
for the supervisor to become Quality Manager. Other development will be
needed in finance, project management, regulations, and new product
development in order to become a Quality Manager.
2. Strong training and personal development skills in order to drive new
productivity goals as defined from time to time.
3. Participate in planning future capital requirements, develop the capital
request utilizing the current format and manage capital projects to their
4. Have an understanding of SQF, responsibility for Food Safety /Food
Quality and the responsibility to take action when notified or becomes
aware of any Food Safety or Food Quality issue.
Benchmarking the Best:
1. They are consistent in giving required feedback,
completing assigned tasks, innovative and creative in designing training
programs, and effectively communicate business KPIs.
2. Supervisor maintains a mentoring process with their employees in order
to develop skill sets required in their current and future roles.
3. The person is ethical in their business dealings that enforce the
company’s best interests and policies.
Cott Beverages is a proud EEOC/AA