R&D Application Technologist - Prosser, WA
Milne Fruit Products
The R&D Application Technologist at Milne Fruit Products is an independent creator of innovative drink ideas and delicious prototype samples highlighting our portfolio of products. In a typical week the R&D Application Technologist will closely coordinate with the Director of R&D and the R&D Technician to work on bench top and pilot lab prototypes; work with Sales and Marketing to translate scientific research into marketable information; and engage with customers on needs, samples and documentation. The R&D Application Technologist divides their time between pilot plant production, bench top lab testing, desk time on email, research, customer interaction, and participating in trade shows and customer visits.
• food science foundation coupled with the ability to translate the science into layman's terms
• flexibility and comfort running pilot plant equipment; completing bench top analysis; and interacting with customers on the phone, email or as part of
a visiting sales team or at a trade show (a diverse and well-rounded set of skills!)
• desire to be part of a small team making a big impact within our company working on industrial ingredient development from juices and purees to
dried whole pieces to powders and extracts
• ability to show you are the perfect fit for the company and the position even if your experience doesn't quite match up yet
· Works independently and manage multiple projects - both short term and ongoing – within established deadlines. Manages details well. Communicates project status using database updates as well as verbal updates.
· Closely coordinates with the Director of R&D for the development and production of bench top and pilot lab prototypes. Creates unique and saleable prototype products.
· Uses analytical chemistry skills to analyze food and food ingredients for nutrients and targeted compounds with potential health benefits.
· Follows scientific principles and maintains appropriate records of all development and production work.
· Serves as the communication conduit to translate scientific research into marketable information highlighting the nutritional and unique benefits of our products. Works closely with the Sales and Marketing team. Moves research to commercialization.
· Provides excellent customer service. Responds to customer emails, completes customer paperwork, assists with sample coordination. Drafts technical data sheets and other specifications as needed and coordinates with the R&D Director and the Director of QA.
· Engages customers in interactive dialog to determine potential customer needs. Communicates potential projects to R&D and Sales. Interacts with all team members in determining project viability and priority.
· Participates in the writing and creating of customer presentations. Communicates effectively across departments to ensure the quality, production and eventual sales of products.
· Travels to trade shows and serves as an information resource in the company booth. Depending on need, visits customers with brokers or sales team.
· Educates staff on products and research developments. Develops within the staff an understanding and vocabulary for sensory input on all products.
· Bachelor of Science from an accredited college or university with major course work in Food Science, Food Engineering or closely related field.
· Entry level to 5 years’ experience in a food or beverage application lab including use of analytical chemistry to determine compounds in ingredients. Juice and/or vegetable extraction experience preferred.
· Strong organoleptic skills required. Ability to discriminate through taste and smell.
· Knowledge of commercial food or beverage processing, sensory testing and use of functional ingredients required.
· PC-based computing experience (Word, Advanced Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
· Ability to read and comprehend technical publications. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees. Ability to relate well with all level’s of MFP staff. Because of considerable interaction with all employees, effective language and human relations skills are essential.
· Professional writing skills to compose memos, letters and other business correspondence observing all rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation.
· Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, trigonometry and use advanced algebra. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to convert metric units of measurements to their accepted English measurement equivalents and vice versa.
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to make timely decisions and exhibit sound and accurate judgment. Ability to work independently, analyzing systems and identifying critical success factors relating to product development.
· Work indoors in an office environment (25%); indoors in a laboratory environment (65%); and in and out of doors in the processing plant (10%). Potential workplace hazards in the laboratory and processing plant. All safety regulations and use of PPE’s must be followed. Frequently work at fast pace with unscheduled interruptions while managing multiple deadlines. Occasional travel domestically to customer sites and trade shows.
· An equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Complete job description available.
· Medical Insurance
· Dental Insurance
· Vision Insurance
· Life and Disability Insurances
· 401(k) Retirement Plan
· Vacation - Holidays - Floating Personal Day
· Positive work environment
· On-the-job training
· Support for continuing education through outside classes and seminars
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com