Food Technologist – Visalia, CA
times are in Pacific Standard Time.
More information about this job:
This is a
mid-level level position that will assist in the development of new products supporting
the Product Development Supervisor. This position will oversee the
implementation of Product Development production runs, collect, manage data,
and update/manage Product Development documents/files.
- Assist in supervising Product
Development production runs.
- Follow-up with Production and
other personnel to ensure preparation work has been completed for
Product Development production runs.
- Collect data and record
observations during Product Development runs.
- Organize and summarize all
data following the runs.
- Create and maintain Raw
Material Specifications, Finished Product Specifications, Formula
Controlled Documents and Product Development files.
- Compare laboratory assays to
formulation software specifications.
- Work with Sales and Purchasing
to collect packaging specifications.
- Assist in the activation of new
- Coordinate the collection and
shipping of product samples for customer evaluation, analytical testing
and palatability trials.
- Assist with identifying and
implementing cost reduction ideas for product lines and factories.
- Update and maintain customer
- Coordinate Vendor Assurance
- Participate in cross-functional
teams to execute product development plans and on-going projects.
- Perform in depth analysis,
collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Set expectations,
track/communicate results, and create an environment of accountability
for results and actions.
- Participate in a high quality
team environment through effective teamwork and self-management with a
- Maintain a professional
appearance and demeanor that reflects the Company’s commitment to
quality, continuous improvement, and respect for individuals.
- Provide a high level of support
to the next person in line.
- Complete and comply with the
Master Sanitation Schedule (MSS), Daily Routine List (DRL), HACCP
procedures, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Integrated Pest
Management (IPM) Compliance.
- Maintain a food-safe sanitary
environment at all times.
- Complete records/quality checks
with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Escalate any non-conforming
product/equipment/material to the appropriate manager/supervisor
- Follow Company’s quality
assurance procedures and protocols at all times while on duty (eg. Labeling of containers, Inventory Control, PM
- Promote a positive proactive
environment where input from team members is valued and encouraged.
- Oversee ongoing projects,
studies, and databases, as necessary.
- Provide back-up support for
other roles, as necessary.
- Requires occasional overnight
- Requires occasional night shift
and/or weekend shift for special projects.
- Other duties as assigned by the
The requirements listed below
are representative of the knowledge, skill or ability necessary to perform
this job successfully:
- Bachelor’s degree in food
science, animal science, or other closely related field, or an
equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two (2) years in a feed or
food production environment preferred.
- Intermediate to advanced
proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, Power
Point, and Access).
- Experience with formulation
- Strong organizational skills.
- Advanced interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and verbal
communication skills, analytical ability, leadership strengths, and
ability to work effectively with a team.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English sufficient to read and understand
work directions and/or department specific literature.
- Self-motivated, proactive, and
able to work both independently and as a team.
- Excellent time management
skills; comfortable working with deadlines and under pressure.
- Position requires demonstrated
professionalism with a dedicated work ethic and ability to prioritize
and manage multiple projects.
- Physical Requirements:
- Regularly perform repetitive
motion activities/tasks throughout the day.
- Regularly required to stand
and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, or tools.
- Regularly required to
communicate with other employees.
- Occasionally required to move
objects weighing up to and including 50 pounds.
- Occasionally required to reach
with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Occasionally climb ladders and
work at heights of 20 feet.
- Position requires close visual
acuity to prepare and analyze data and figures, read lab equipment, and
detect product defects.
- Position requires color vision
sufficient to differentiate color.
- Regularly exposed to
outdoor/uncontrolled weather conditions.
- Regularly exposed to work near
- Regularly exposed to major
amounts of dust.
- Regularly exposed to moderate
to severe noise levels.
- Occasionally exposed to chemicals
used in the manufacturing process.Note: Valid Driver’s License
required for insurance purposes. Plant Management retains the discretion
to add to or change the duties of this position at any time.
- The above
statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work
being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to
be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements,
which may change from time to time based on business needs. When
appropriate, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Mid-Level (2+ years)