Robert Taira founded King’s Hawaiian in Hilo Hawaii 64 years
ago and, after capturing the lion’s share of the bakery business on the big
island, moved the business to Honolulu in the 60’s. There, King’s Hawaiian
became not only the largest bakery business and a successful restaurant,
but also the largest customer in Hawaii of the US Postal Service due to the
huge mail order business from stateside consumers who craved the Original
Sweet Bread. To realize the next vision in his plan, Robert moved the business
to Torrance, CA in the early 70’s where it resides today with two
restaurants and two bakery plants including one of the most modern in the
industry. King’s Hawaiian is continuing to grow and built a brand new
bakery facility near Atlanta GA that went live in October 2011.
The company, which is
still 100% family owned, is now led by Robert’s
son Mark who serves as CEO and continues the family’s long time commitment
to irresistible quality and behavioral values that make King’s Hawaiian a
great place to work.
Mission Statement: We
deliver irresistible Hawaiian foods and Aloha Spirit that families love
Core Values: Excellence /
Dignity / Telling it like it is, in a way that can be heard
The Food Safety Foreman will be concerned with any operation in any
department that may directly or indirectly affect the production of a clean
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND
RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Recommends measures to improve cleaning methods and time
2. Trains employees.
3. Trains or directs the training of new employees or employees who
change job classifications.
4. Enforces Federal, State and Baking Industries Health and Safety
5. Holds weekly floor safety meetings, as well as monthly safety
meetings with all employees.
6. Promotes safety in the work area by understanding and complying
with safety procedures and reporting all accidents in a timely manner.
7. Directs employees in his or her area with respect and courtesy.
8. Help to maintain administrative records on food safety personnel,
such as absenteeism, training, safety, daily cleaning documentation, etc.
9. Help maintain appropriate pest control, and keep records on all
activities of pest control.
10. Help carry out food safety inspection programs to ensure that
Kings Hawaiian standards are met.
11. Complies with and enforces King’s safety policies and positively
promotes safety in all areas.
12. Directs employees to work safely and takes corrective action
immediately if an employee is being unsafe.
13. Reports unsafe behaviors of employees to the Food Safety Manager
immediately. Documents the communication of correcting employee behaviors.
14. Understand and complies with all general and specific safe job
procedures & policies that apply to your job and your staff.
15. Reports harassment or other behaviors that may cause a hostile
16. Executes the Food Safety Managers work instructions.
17. Promotes our company values of “Dignity, Excellence, and Telling
it like it is in a way that can be heard” through your actions and by
educating the staff about our values.
18. Communicates with other Supervisors and lead persons to coordinate
activities between departments.
19. Performs the activities of workers supervised.
20. Trains new employees or employees who change job classifications.
21. Plans and carries out job assignments without creating hazards to
yourself and other employees.
22. Reports all accidents to the Supervisor and obtain first aid for
all injuries no matter how minor.
23. Provides control at the scene of the accident.
24. Assists during an emergency or natural disaster to maintain order
and security of plant personnel.
25. Accounts for all of his or her department personnel during an
evacuation. Attends weekly operations and safety meetings.
26. Reviews weekly Quality Assurance Facilities audits, and develops
and implements corrective action.
27. Defines and updates job descriptions for direct reports.
28. Meets regularly with direct reports to set goals and monitor
progress toward goals
29. Gives ongoing feedback to direct reports on skills and abilities.
32. Assists direct reports in defining career goals and seeking
33. Delivers or provides for training and resources required for
direct reports to perform their roles.
34. Solicits feedback from direct reports on management style and
35. Ensures that policies, procedures and systems are in place to
ensure continuous operations, proactive maintenance and timely problem
36. Enforces utilization/adherence to policies, procedures and systems
37. Maintains constant awareness of facilities and equipment hazards
and proactively manages risk.
38. Manages all aspects of regulatory compliance including knowledge
of standards, documents, audits, etc.
39. Promotes safety in the work area by understanding and complying
with safety procedures and reporting all accidents in a timely
manner. Ensures that food safety personnel comply with all company
policies, and enforces the safety program.
40. Complies with Federal, State, City and A.I.B. Health and Safety
Standards, including OSHA (State and/or Federal) and Hazardous Material
regulation, in keeping with the work process and chemical inventory by
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This
individual must be safety conscience. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• High school diploma or GED equivalent.
• Minimum five years of supervisory and bakery environment experience
• Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
• Basic skill in Microsoft Suite.
• Key Leadership Competencies in addition to Ethics / Values and
Integrity / Trust, (Action Oriented, Directing Others, Priority Setting,
Decision Quality, Organizing, Process Management).
• Knowledge of cleaning chemicals.
• Knowledge of HACCP program.
• Experience in pest control is helpful.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and
maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals written in English. Ability
to write routine reports and correspond in English. Ability to speak
effectively before groups of employees. Spanish comprehension is a plus.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure,
using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Valid California Driver’s License required.
Will maintain CPR and AED certification (Company will provide periodic recertification
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required
to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands
and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance,
color, and peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust
focus. Duties may require use of equipment in machine shop, small portable
equipment and manual tools. Duties may require occasional operation of a
motor vehicle or travel to another state on behalf of the company.
This position is scheduled to work on a shift basis. May also be
scheduled to work all shifts. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is
occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, high, precarious
places, fumes or airborne particles, and extreme cold. The noise
level in the work environment is usually high.
We participate in
E-Verify. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE MFDV.