Sr. Manager, Food Safety Program – Watsonville, CA
Watsonville CA USA
JOB SUMMARY: Driscoll’s is the world’s
leading producer of fresh berries with operations in 18 countries on 5
continents. Driscoll's trademark, Only the Finest Berries®, is the product
of years of developing superior berry varieties, demanding quality
standards and a passion for food safety. One of Driscoll’s highest
priorities is to continually build industry leadership in food safety
Driscoll’s is seeking a Sr. Manager, Food Safety Program reporting to the
VP of Quality & Food Safety. As a member of the National Food Safety
team, the Sr. Manager, Food Safety Program will partner with the Driscoll’s
Food Safety Team, Growers, Regional Production Teams, and Cooler personnel
to plan, organize, develop, and control the activities and resources to
deliver on Driscoll’s science based Global Food Safety Program that affords
optimal value to the enterprise.
1. Drive the Driscoll’s science based Food Safety vision
2. Manage audit schemes
3. Manage third party certification bodies
4. Manage customers from a food safety standpoint
5. Manage process documentation efforts
6. Manage continuous improvement efforts
7. Work with VP of Quality & Food Safety, Sr. FS Managers, and Global
FS team to harmonize and implement global food safety program
8. Collaborate with Sr. Regional Food Safety Managers to develop and source
tools to more effectively execute the food safety program
9. Work with VP of Quality & Food Safety to continually develop and
modify the food safety vision
10. Work with IT and cross functional departments to develop and implement
food safety platforms
11. Work with external software vendors and regional food safety teams to
manage and implement Agrian system throughout the
DOTA grower base
12. Manage export regulatory compliance program
13. Build and maintain trusted grower relationships while onboarding new
growers and working with existing growers to provide guidance and oversight
for the implementation of Driscoll’s science based Food Safety Program.
14. Oversee Food Safety Programs in the Northern region (in the near time).
15. Leads by example placing a high priority on representing Driscoll’s in
a positive and unified manner attending grower meetings to effectively
represent food safety requirements to grower base as well as understand
16. Support Food Safety Regional Sr. Managers in execution and
implementation of the Food Safety programs in the districts
17. Support all Driscoll’s science based Food Safety Program components
18. Provide leadership, documentation and present findings to growers and
stakeholders to disseminate best management practices.
19. Manage FS Analyst to develop and maintain department, district and
grower metrics related to food safety, and internal and external audits
working with the VP of Quality & Food Safety to generate and maintain
20. Mentors and coaches employees and nurtures, supports,
and promotes the Company Mission and vision.
21. Develop, review and maintain Driscoll’s standard operating procedures,
reviewing as needed to remain up to date.
22. Maintains accurate confidential records and ensures the security of
Driscoll’s proprietary and confidential information and material.
23. Travel as needed to other Driscoll’s locations, vendors, suppliers or
24. Follows Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in
an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees,
government agencies, growers, customers, etc.
25. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Minimum Bachelor of Science degree required with an emphasis in
Microbiology, Food Chemistry, Food Science or other Science based
• 5-7 Years of experience in Agriculture with emphasis on Food Safety,
Microbiology, GAPSs, and GMPs preferred.
• 3-4 years of management experience.
• Experience with process management and practical implementation of
technology required as well as the ability to work in an environment in
which processes and systems are being developed and improved.
Or an equal and equivalent combination of education and experience
• Excellent skills in communication, motivation, innovation, adaptability
and interpersonal relationships
• Analytical ability to set-up and monitor multiple measurable goals and
manage multiple projects.
• Must be a self-starter, able to work independently with strong decision
• Proven ability to effectively collaborate and drive results with a
diverse group who are geographically dispersed within and outside of
• Current knowledge of Food Safety regulations, as well as other current
regulations, guidelines and audit schemes.
• Demonstrated competence in agricultural food safety risk assessments.
• Demonstrated ability to utilize critical thinking to identify the
strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or
approaches within the regions.
• Proven leadership ability to influence, develop, and empower employees to
achieve their personal potential in addition to corporate objectives
• Ability to develop relationships with customers and effectively manage
their food safety expectations.
• Bi-lingual in Spanish and English preferred.
• Standard Office environment
• California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under
company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required
• Requires moderate travel