Laboratory Manager - Food Safety Net Services - San Antonio, TX
FOOD SAFETY NET SERVICES
JOB SUMMARY Salary Range: $70,000-$100,000/year
(Position located in San Antonio, TX)
The primary function of this position is to supervise laboratory operations and have direct contact with the laboratory client base. This position is authorized to be responsible for all laboratory operations related to the generation and communication of microbiological and chemical testing results. The Laboratory Manager works closely with the Director of Laboratory Operations and the Director of Laboratory Technical Services and has the authority to delegate responsibility for laboratory operations to the Assistant Laboratory Manager when absent from the laboratory.
· Supervise laboratory operations to maintain quality and efficiency.
· Oversee training of new and current laboratory personnel in laboratory procedures and protocols.
· Provide guidance in the distribution of workload.
· Ensure that aseptic/microbiological and sound chemical techniques are applied to the daily workload.
· Maintenance of all laboratory personnel training, reviews, and goal setting/personal growth.
· Placement of laboratory personnel in appropriate laboratory areas to ensure efficiency and staff success.
· Information liaison for Human Resources with regard to staff changes and adjustments, including staff vacation and leave.
· Review and approve laboratory expenditures, including outside lab testing, shipping, and supply orders.
· Ensure that all required equipment is in place and properly functioning.
· Ensure that all quality control procedures and documentation are in compliance and up to date with ISO 17025 guidelines.
· Ensure that all technical procedures are up to date and properly followed in collaboration with the Director of Laboratory Technical Services, the Technical Supervisor, and the Assistant Laboratory Manager.
· Overall organization, housekeeping, maintenance, and space utilization of the laboratory.
· Oversee laboratory departmental staff meetings.
· Supervise non-routine projects per client request and as assigned.
· Oversee status and writing of final report summaries for shelf-life evaluations and food borne illness reports.
· Review and approval of final technical reports going out to clients to include spreadsheets, special projects, and contract research.
· Review and oversee data entries. Independently pursue and have a working knowledge of processes, procedures, or techniques in accordance with the Food Safety Net Services Methods Manual, Quality Manual, Chemical Hygiene Plan, Safety Manual, and approved laboratory procedures.
· Maintain a high degree of technical competence by reading scientific journals, attending professional workshops, and being aware of food industry issues and trends.
· Provide guidance to the Assistant Laboratory Manager and Laboratory Supervisors to ensure that all laboratory processes are managed with the highest quality and efficiency.
· Authority to approve payroll hours, to write performance reviews, and to provide feedback to HR on staffing needs.
· Adjust workflow as required.
· Authorize training for laboratory personnel.
· Periodically review and visually audit laboratory staff to ensure compliance with methods.
· Authority to approve laboratory supply orders and invoices related to supplies, shipping, and contract services.
· Authorized to order repair services for malfunctioning equipment as well as request new equipment with the proper price quotations.
· Authorize retests of client samples based on quality control concerns.
· Communicate directly with clients on laboratory capability, results, pricing, and related topics.
· Travel is required and at the discretion of management.
Directly supervises employees. Carries out all responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, standard operating procedures and best practices. Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations at all times. Responsibilities includes interviewing, hiring, training and mentoring employees; evaluate performance of assigned personnel, monitor performance action plans for employees, improve operational efficiencies by focusing on customer service and maximizing production and profit; will direct work flow; maintain harmony in the workplace and professional business demeanor at all times.
· MS degree in Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Technology, or related field.
· Post Graduate degree or graduate level courses in Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Technology, or related field preferred.
· Experience in a microbiological and/or chemical testing environment.
· Five years’ experience in a commercial food-testing laboratory.
· Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please apply online at www.fsns.com
For questions, please contact Michelle Matthews
199 W. Rhapsody
San Antonio, TX 78216
Food Safety Net Services is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Women, Minorities, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com