Food Safety Specialist - Eastern Region (hub: Canton, MI)-Full-time
Apply NowJob ID 1500003059Date posted 02/20/2015
Meijer is a leading Supercenter located in five states throughout the Midwest, with over 200 stores and more than 60,000 employees. Our Midwest geography includes corporate offices in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and stores, distribution centers, and manufacturing facilities throughout Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, and Wisconsin. As a multi-billion dollar retailer, Meijer is ranked as the 19th largest privately held company in the country. We have become a respected leader in the competitive retail market by sticking to our core values of customers, competition, family, freshness, and safety & health.
Currently, Meijer is looking for a Food Safety Specialist. This position provides food safety expertise and oversight for our retail stores, distribution and manufacturing facilities. Acts as the region's primary resource for our supply chain regarding compliance to food safety regulations and Meijer Standard Operating Procedures. Ensures uncompromising food safety performance through science-based HACCP audits of our facilities, education of team members & leadership on the science behind food safety. Also acts as a positive change agent by enhancing our food safety culture within our retail stores and our manufacturing and distribution facilities.
Key responsibilities include:
· Collaborates on a daily basis with other members of the corporate food safety department to discuss and analyze food safety trends and findings with other regions and maintains a standardized approach to food safety audits in order to ensure Meijer food safety programs are executed to the highest standards.
· Conducts a minimum of 3 annual science-based HACCP Food Safety Audits within our retail stores and distribution facilities.
· Conducts and oversees the food safety inspection process within our distribution facilities to ensure compliance with Good Warehouse Practices as well as the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
· Assists our manufacturing & QA staff on an ongoing basis to ensure meet all regulatory and internal food safety standards regarding the FSMA and SQF.
· Ensures that our facilities are properly executing Meijer and regulatory food safety product recall protocols and response procedures.
· Takes the lead and provides food safety guidance, on a regional level, to our supply-chain regarding product & illness complaints.
· Provides expert HACCP guidance and instructional knowledge as it relates to food safety and food defense issues within our retail, manufacturing and distribution operations.
· Assists in the development, implementation and execution of food safety training programs and examinations.
· Must be available at all time to take the lead in response to customer complaints or investigations due to product, facilities and/or illness complaints in accordance with our Emergency Procedures Manual.
· Conducts bacterial control testing and environmental swabbing of equipment using aseptic procedures.
· Analyzes and compares regional food safety metrics and training performance against company goals and chain-wide performance by facility, in order to assist local leadership teams with the development of science-based action plans for improving food safety program execution.
· Provides trend analysis reports and prepares presentations to supply-chain leadership by facility, as well as by market area, so that they understand regional performance to company goals and objectives and assists in the development and execution of priorities and action plans for continuous improvement.
· Identifies critical food safety breakdowns in operations and/or merchandising procedures and acts as a proactive change agent by proposing possible solutions to food safety leadership for further discussion.
· Works with all levels of operational, manufacturing and distribution leadership in a collaborative and influential manner toward continuous improvement of food safety standards and operational excellence without direct-line authority.
· Knows State and local food safety code differences and acts as the primary Meijer food safety contact at the State & local level by assisting in the inspection and opening of new stores.
· This job profile is not meant to be all inclusive of the responsibilities of this position; may perform other duties as assigned or required.
· Bachelor's degree in Environmental or Biological Sciencesrequired. Similar degrees will be considered based on the strength of the curriculum.
· 3-5+ years of working with food safety regulations within the food/retail industry or with a regulatory agency.
· Experience in and the ability to design, develop & present training programs and trend analysis reporting on food safety.
· Previous experience working with food safety issues within the retail, distribution or manufacturing environments.
· Expert knowledge and understanding of local, state and federal safety regulations (FDA, GMP's, USDA, GAP's, SQF, etc).
· Working knowledge and demonstrated competency in the process of Hazardous Analysis of Critical Control Point (HACCP) principles.
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision while remaining aligned with corporate food safety programs and goals.
· Must possess strong verbal, written, computer and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to influence positive change behavior without direct authority.
· Ability to establish proactive, collaborative working relationships with organizational leadership as well as public health officials
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com