R&D Technical Expert - Elizabethtown, PA
Location: Elizabethtown, PA, US, 17022
Date: Feb 24, 2016
Requisition Number: 50641
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
Mars has net sales of more than $33 billion, operates six business segments including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks, Symbioscience, and more than 75,000 Associates worldwide that are putting its Principles into action to make a difference for people and the planet through its performance.
Mars brands include: Petcare – PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, BANFIELD® Pet Hospital, CESAR®, SHEBA®, DREAMIES® and NUTRO®; Chocolate – M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX®; Wrigley – DOUBLEMINT®, EXTRA®, ORBIT® and 5™ chewing gums, SKITTLES® and STARBURST® candies, and ALTOIDS® AND LIFESAVERS® mints. Food – UNCLE BEN’S®, DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS®, SEEDS OF CHANGE® and ROYCO®; Drinks – ALTERRA COFFEE ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA COMPANY™, KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience – COCOAVIA® and WISDOM PANEL®.
Job Title: R&D Technical Expert
Segment/Business Unit: Global Chocolate
Function: Science and Technology
Job Level: T2
Location/Site: Hackettstown (New Jersey, USA), Slough (England), Veghel (Netherlands), Elizabethtown (Pennsylvania, USA) or Beijing (China)
Line Manager’s Name: John Kaiser
Position exists to identify, develop and execute GCS&T programs.
The role serves to drive growth, efficiency and quality through the development new best practices in chocolate, raw material and process.
To serve as global technical subject matter expert and provide the business technical guidance both tactical and strategic.
• Design, develop and manage scale up of new chocolate, raw materials, process, recipes and specifications that translate to full scale production and provide competitive advantage to Mars Inc.
• Provide leadership and direction to drive on time and in budget project delivery; ensure quality, integrity and assurance of supply throughout the business by effectively integrating scientific discipline and knowledge to business needs
• Design and execute quality plans throughout the pipeline process – from raw materials to shelf life of finished products
• Owner of recipe, raw material and process specifications for global and regional units that deliver quality product at expected scale.
• Essential project management competency for meeting budget and timing on project execution.
• Thought leader within community of practice for new chocolate, raw materials and process best practices.
• Creates content for chocolate, raw materials and process functional competency programs (i.e., chocolate school, peanut school).
• Support technologists’ and technicians’ development through coaching and mentoring.
• Essential translation/interpret cocoa & chocolate recipes for regulatory/legal requirements.
Context and Scope
Ensure proper safety practices are followed in all testing and production situations
Build and maintain collaborative relationships between internal (cross functional and across regions) and external (suppliers and trade groups) partners in different geographic locations.
Follows aligned ways of working on how to conduct a research and dev. project
Establishes goals, milestones and timelines for cross geographical teams.
Design and execution of fundamental and applied research using sound scientific methodology.
Effectively communicate and solve conflict with global teams through virtual and face to face interactions – available to travel globally and connect with teams after hours.
Ability to document, organize and summarize project results through verbal and written communication.
Relevant Quantitative and Budget Information
Financial: Up to $100k USD project expense budget and $2M CAB
Staff: 0 to 1 direct reports
1. Education & Professional Qualification
• M.S or PhD degree in Food Science, Food or Chem. Engr., Biochemical or equivalent preferred
• Demonstrated record of performing research in food, food ingredients or related systems
• An advanced understanding of the key scientific associated with food systems and ingredient/process interaction is critical.
• In conjunction with a general knowledge of food science and chemistry, in depth knowledge of specific job field.
• Recognized as an acknowledged expert within Mars globally.
• Travel to other Mars sites and vendors required up to 30%, which could include significant international travel. Available by phone beyond day shift for communication with other Global sites.
Level of role, Critical MLCs and Competencies
Level of Role: Individual Contributor
• Delivers Consistent Results
• Creates Collaborative Relationships
Key Supporting Competencies
• Action Oriented
• Drive for Results
• Organizational agility
• Customer Focus
• Integrity & Trust
Key Functional Competencies & Technical Skills
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com