Ben and Jerry's Product Developer - New
- South Burlington, VT
(Job Number: 1600047Z)
: Apr-26-2016, 9:59:00
: United States-Vermont-South
Burlington-South Burlington -30 Community
: Day Job
: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Ben & Jerry’s
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station
in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated
activists Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. In 2000 Ben & Jerry’s became a
wholly-owned subsidiary of Unilever whilst maintaining an independent Board
of Directors to provide leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben
& Jerry's social mission, brand integrity, and product quality. Nowadays
our products are distributed in 35 countries in supermarkets, grocery stores,
convenience stores, franchised Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops, restaurants and
At Ben & Jerry’s we have an inspiring ambition: We aim to pioneer our
‘linked prosperity business model’ to advance the global movement for social
and economic justice while growing our sales. The model is as simple as it is
radical: When the company benefits, all those touched by the company also
benefit, including employees, suppliers, customers, and communities.
Therefore we are expanding rapidly in Europe as well as in new markets in
Asia and Latin America. This translates into a high-paced growth environment
where we bring our grassroots and activist spirit every day. That is how we
remain a true values-led organisation with a
connected 3 part mission, which you will find reflected in your goals and
1) Social mission: to initiate innovative ways to improve the quality of life
locally, nationally and internationally
2) Product mission: to make and distribute the finest quality all natural and
super premium ice-cream and euphoric concoctions
3) Economic mission: to operate the Company on a sustainable financial basis
of profitable growth
Role & Responsibilities – your purpose
This role is in Ben & Jerry’s global design team which is part of the
broader Refreshment R&D team in North America.
To ensure Ben & Jerry’s has the best ice cream made in the best possible
way, its R&D team plays a key role in delivering renovation, innovation,
value improvement and quality improvement throughout the portfolio of Ben
& Jerry’s super premium, ice-cream products
The candidate will assist the Technical Project Leader (TPL) in the on-time
and in-full (OTIF) delivery of all R&D projects related to the B&J’s
global portfolio, along with certain US innovation projects. The duties
include, but are not limited to:
• Scoping and development of product ideas, flavours,
designs and formulations
• Preparation and tasting of laboratory samples and product prototypes
• Execution of quality validation assessments
• Generation of product specifications (Interspec/PLM),
declarations (nutrition and legal) and certifications ( i.e. fair trade,
GMO-free, Kosher and Halal)
• Organization and assessments of R&D trials in the GDC/RDC lab, in pilot
plants and in sourcing units to ensure we have successful product launches.
• Regularly, reviewing and reporting project status and updates to project
• Consult and brainstorm with vendors to discuss new product innovations and
equipment while assisting in providing technical expertise for product
innovation and improvements.
• Working with regional R&D teams to prepare and share formulation,
regulatory and quality materials to support new product launches.
• Prepare import documentation, label compliance forms and inter-company
agreements between local sourcing units and the identified importing region.
The role requires the ability to organize and execute 5 or more different
projects across multiple regions in parallel and at a fast pace, while still
managing everyday tasks and duties to support the R&D department.
Skills & Experience
Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build
excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s will be
essential. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the
marketing excellence and operational effectiveness that is built by Unilever
– while preserving the 3 part mission and community of connectivity within
Ben & Jerry’s. Having the right energy and attitude to connect both parts
of our organisation will be critical for success.
The ideal candidate needs to be passionate about food and excited about
identifying new ingredients and new opportunities for differentiating Ben
& Jerry’s in the world of ice cream. The ideal candidate would also have
the ability to combine those ingredients in creative ways that are both novel
and delicious. Prior culinary training would be considered a big plus. Being
a “foodie” is equally important.
Other required skills/experiences – hard skills needed for the role:
• University degree/diploma in food science/technology. BS/BA in Food
• Candidates are expected to have 3-5 years’ experience in the food industry,
preferably in product formulation. Experience in Ice Cream product
development would be an advantage;
• Strong analytical skills and a solid understanding of food science
principles, ingredient functionality (function properties), and product
formulation principles and practices.
• Good understanding of new technologies and a general knowledge of packaging
(the materials and their interaction with the product).
• Experience working within cross-cultural teams and projects.
• Consumer orientation: would need to reach out to the B&J’s Brand Team
to get insights and understanding of the B&J’s consumer and their
differences across countries.
• Proven communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work with cross
• Computer proficiency with a focus on data and specification management.
• Creative problem solver and capability to use Unilever development tools
(PLM, Interspec, Innoplan,
• Ability to be proactive in the face of new challenges and changing
• Formal training in project leadership/project management would be an
Travel requirements It is anticipated that the candidate may be required to
support factory trials in Vermont and possibly additional factories within
the US. Frequency will vary, but usually 6-8 times per year.
Our people profile
To support out 3-part mission, Ben & Jerry’s also has an outspoken
people-mission. We look for people with these characteristics to strengthen
- Purpose-driven: passion and drive to make a real impact with through our
- Empathy: curious to collaborate with a variety of personalities and styles
and to build excellent relationships with internal & external
stakeholders – this includes cross-functional relationships and striving for
- Mastery: continuously learn, grow and develop to contribute to B&Js
- Autonomy: dare to make choices and take ownership
- Activism: interested in bringing about political or social connectivity
Unilever offers a competitive compensation package which includes: Medical
& Dental Plans, Life Insurance, including eligible spouses, domestic
partners & children; Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care,
Retirement & Savings Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Vacation and
Please note: as
part of the job application, you will be asked to complete pre-screening
questions. Completion of the pre-screening questions are
mandatory in order to be considered. Please allow yourself plenty of time to
complete both the application and pre-screening questions. If the
pre-screening questions are partially answered or not at all, it will
adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you
will have to complete the pre-screening questions at once as you will be
unable to return to it later.
applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be
discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender
identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected
veteran status, or other protected class in accordance with applicable
federal, state, and local laws. Unilever takes affirmative action in
support of its policy to and advance in employment individuals who are
minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
subject to verification of pre-employment drug-screening results and