Food Scientist - Downers
Date: Mar 8, 2016
Downers Grove, IL, US
Build your career at ConAgra Foods. At
ConAgra Foods, we make great food — everyday food — in extraordinary
ways, which is why we’re creating meaningful career opportunities for
the best and the brightest. Whether you’re a recent graduate or an experienced
professional, ConAgra Foods provides extraordinary job opportunities
for growth with competitive salaries and benefits in an exciting,
Summary: Provide technical expertise and leadership on product
development activities across all multiple product categories in
support of the McDonald’s Business Unit. Carry out strategic
initiatives that directly influence the achievement of business
objectives. Effectively build and maintain strong relationships with
both internal and external partners under limited supervision.
- Execute product development for activities
across designated product categories including benchtop
prototypes, hands on plant testing, and scale-up.
- Assist in the coordination of all aspects
including nutrition information, ingredient statements, packaging and labeling issues, customer
required documentation, etc.
- Support product development activities for
secondary categories as needed
- Partner with the McDonald’s Culinary Team to
translate Gold Standard recipes into commercially viable new
products for McDonald’s across the globe.
- Work with the plants to define quality
standards for key attributes, write specifications.
- Execution of testing and implementing
continuous improvement, contingency improvement and cost savings
opportunities for McDonald’s products
- Support the Field Service team to test and
deliver restaurant innovation across all core product areas.
- Proactively develop new products for
McDonald’s while adhering to international regulatory requirements
- Partner with product development teams from
other suppliers on continuous improvement projects for McDonald’s
- Participate in Central Location testing,
sensory evaluation testing and market blitzes for new and core
- Participate at Regional and Worldwide
McDonald’s conventions and meetings as appropriate.
- Prepare written and oral technical
presentations for internal and external customers.
- Act as a subject matter expert in training
management as well as hourly employees on technical issues that
will aid in their decision-making and job performance and lead to
higher quality products for the customer.
- Design and improve sensory evaluation
procedures for new and core products.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time,
- BS in Food Science or related field with a
minimum of 3 years’ experience in product development required, MS
- Experience with Foodservice product
- Good understanding of food science and
technology principles, and ability to apply them in product
development and commercialization
- Exposure within a broad range of product
- Understanding of generating nutrition
information, ingredient statements, packaging and labeling issues
- Experience supporting McDonald’s Menu
Innovation process and knowledge of McDonald’s restaurant
operations around the world strongly preferred
- Ability to taste and distinguish sensory
characteristics of many different types of products
- Proven ability to manage mulitiple
- Ability to influence enterprise RQI team
- Global regulatory awareness
- Knowledge of financial aspects of food and
- Strong coordination skills and ability to
excel in a fluid, cross-functional team environment
- Strong communication (verbal and written)
and influencing skills
- Strong presentation skills both to customers
and internal contacts
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Exposure to manufacturing processes and
equipment for periodic extended workdays.
- Ability to lift up to 60 lbs. on a regular
- Driving a company or rental automobile 4 to
6 hours as needed
position description is not intended, and should not be construed to
be, an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or
working conditions associated with the job. It is intended,
however, to be an accurate reflection of those principal job elements
essential for making decisions related to job performance, employee
development and compensation. As such, the incumbent may perform
other duties and responsibilities as required.
Foods, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer
and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to
race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status or any
other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
Nearest Major Market: Chicago
Job Segment: Scientific, Recent
Graduate, Field Service, Engineering, Operations, Entry Level,