Regional Quality and Food Safety Manager-BRE02126
Position Title: Regional Quality and Food Safety Manager
Reports To: Quality and Food Safety Director
Location: Franklin, TN
Purpose of Role:
This position leads the Quality & Food Safety resources for multiple (up to 4) manufacturing sites to assure the on-going production of high quality and safe food products that comply with product design and meet or exceed customer and consumer expectations. As counsel and in conjunction with the site staffs within a region, the position is responsible for the interpretation of the global Quality and Food Safety message and champion of the Quality Management Process (QMP), Q&FS related OGSM, and assurance of an effective change management program.
· Manages all quality assurance, laboratory functions for the site and oversee regional Q&FS organizations.
· As counsel to the regional site staff, participates in and influences the development and implementation of site strategies.
· Provides direction and influence for the development, implementation and continuous improvement of all quality systems.
· Assures that all products and packs produced at the site and within the region are safe for consumption and conform to the intended product design.
· Directs the quality and product safety components of all R&D driven projects at the site and within the region through quality planning, specifications development, and project oversight for compliance to GMP’s and other company policies and guidelines.
· Manages the internal quality audit function for sites and assures the effectiveness of the corrective and preventative action process within the framework of the plant’s Quality Management System.
· Represent the “owners” of the Mars business at the sites with respect to the quality and safety of products and the food processing environment. This responsibility includes participation in the management of crises involving products, and the on-going interpretation and reporting of information from our customers and consumers.
· Manage Q&FS Managers and teams within their region to assure skills development and certification, resource planning for site based projects, management training and the on-going maintenance of a learning environment.
· Serve as Regional Quality Representative to Central Quality and the Management Team through the shaping and implementation of Quality Policies
Mission Critical Competencies
· Directing Others
· Managing and Measuring Work
· Building Effective Teams
· Conflict Management
· Standing Alone
· Strategic Agility
· Manage Vision and Purpose
· Managing Remotely
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
· HACCP and food safety management
· ISO9000 and quality management systems
· Regulatory and food law including AAFCO guidelines
· Quality systems standards, including GMPs
· Food microbiology, analytical chemistry, and sensory methods
· Process engineering, manufacturing equipment, and control
· Activity Management Process
· A minimum of 6-8 years of experience in a technical area such as R&D product development, laboratory management quality systems, or food process engineering.
· At least 2 of the years of experience must have involved management of people.
· An advanced understanding of quality systems and food safety programs.
· A BS degree in Chemistry, Food Science, Engineering or related technical field required; an advanced degree is desirable.
Decision Making Authority and Impact
· Food safety decisions that can have catastrophic impact to consumer protection and Brand image.
· Initiation of field retrieval of product that could result in $500,000 to $1,000,000 business impact.
· Product conformance to specifications and requirements; placing items on “quality hold”
· Notification of product quality and safety issues; identifying business risks and expedient communication of issues
· Approvals of vendors, co-packers, co-manufacturers, and warehousing as extensions of the site.
· Staffing requirements and changes in alignment of resources
· Management of an approximate $250,000 budget (labor and expense) and oversee a budget of $1,000,000
· Process and systems audits at the site and the scope of the audits
· Technical training requirements for the team and their individual development plans
· Resource allocation within the team budget
· Local equipment purchases, including laboratory instrumentation.
· Line operation shut down due to product quality or safety issues in the process or site environment
· Product dispositions for held items
· As a staff member, participate in the development and implementation of site strategies
· Local quality systems projects for site and regional improvement
· Laboratory analytical support required to troubleshoot and resolve site and regional issues
People Management Responsibility
· Direct (management associates) – 3 to 5
· Direct (non-management associates) – 5 to 10
· Indirect (management associates) – 0
· Indirect (non-management associates) – 15 to 50
Every associate at Mars has responsibility for the achievement of quality and food safety.
a privately-held, family-owned company, Mars Petcare
US offers benefits which reflect our commitment to attracting and retaining
great people. This includes excellent pay, competitive health and dental care
coverage, a retirement plan, a very competitive vacation plan and unrivalled
career advancement opportunities, to name just a few of our unique and
In 2014, Mars Inc will become a tobacco-free workplace.
Research and Development
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org