Food Technologist, Regulatory – Watsonville, CA
Job Title: Food Technologist – Regulatory
Department: Regulatory Affairs
Reports To: Sr. Food Technologist
This job contributes to Amy’s success by supporting primary food labeling and regulatory efforts for US and applicable international countries. This position will help lead the process of communicating, creating, reviewing, updating and approving nutritional labeling implementation for a broad scope of product lines. The candidate must be able to represent the regulatory discipline within cross-functional groups and communicate effectively on matters relating to product labeling and compliance. Additionally, this position will participate in a collaborative, teamwork environment.
This position resides in the Regulatory Affairs Department and provides a range of information in support of various food regulations (US, Canada, EU, etc.). One of the primary functions is to prepare nutrition facts and ingredient statements for food products and to ensure that US and Export packaging meets regulatory requirements. In addition, this individual investigates various packaging and product claims and regulatory requirements (organic, non-GMO, health claims, etc.) for US packages and packages for other countries. This individual assists in preparing technical information to assist in exporting Amy’s Kitchen products to other countries. Due to the nature of the work, this individual will be required to occasionally travel between plant locations in Santa Rosa as well as travel to other plant locations.
The candidate works closely with the Marketing Department, the Quality Assurance Department, other members of the Regulatory Affairs Department and also outside consultants/resources to obtain information in support of Amy’s Kitchen projects. The incumbent should be able to work quickly and accurately under pressure of deadlines and communicate well with other departments.
This individual may be called upon to assist with duties in other functional areas of the Regulatory Affairs Department including but not limited to food safety and regulatory compliance, new product development, third party certification and audit requirements, vendor compliance and raw material specifications, procedure development, document control, auditing and maintenance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Developing nutritional labeling information for US and international products in compliance with government regulation and company guidelines.
· Working cross functionally as a key member of marketing/packaging team to ensure timely generation and approval of Nutritional Labeling information
· Collecting, verifying and validating data related to all aspects of nutritional labeling. Including but not limited to Kosher, HALAL, Rainforest Alliance, America Heart Association, Fair Trade etc.
· Staying up to date and building expertise in product regulations, trade associations, and industry best practices. Leveraging knowledge to train others in regulatory standards.
· Completing and/or coordinating completion of technical forms for regulatory agencies and Amy’s Kitchen customers.
· Proactively investigating and reporting on regulatory issues of interest/concern to Amy’s Kitchen, particularly food.
· Coordinating product testing to confirm compliance to nutritional labeling as well as monitoring results and reporting discrepancies.
· Providing technical support to meet import/export requirements.
· Working on special projects related to Regulatory Affairs and Marketing-Packaging initiatives to support regulatory compliance
· Reviewing and advising approval of nutritional information that is printed on packaging and/or used in advertising including social media and website.
· Provide response to Consumer Affairs technical issues as requested and appropriate.
· Support regulatory and technical functions relating to new product development (NPD) and product reformulations.
· Assisting as needed with duties related to other Regulatory Affairs responsibilities or functional areas
This position does not directly supervise other Amy’s employees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
· 1-2 years Food Science or Nutrition BS and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Familiarity with applicable US and international government nutrition labeling rules.
· Product formulation and food production scale-up experience.
· Excellent interpersonal and assertiveness skills, necessary to maintain effective and cordial working relationships while, at the same time, come to resolution/agreement on Amy's requirements
· Ability to manage multiple priorities and deliver accurate outcomes
· Ability to multitask, be detail oriented and to remain calm under pressure
· Ability to organize collection of data, analyze information and capture conclusions
· Excellent communication skills; ability to relate to all internal levels as well as interface with suppliers on a technical level
· Computer literate
· Detail oriented
· Valid US Driver’s License.
· Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
· Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
· Ability to effectively present information to all levels of management as well as technicians.
· Ability to speak Spanish is preferred but not required.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com