- Grand Rapids-Fremont, MI
This Food Technologist position has primary accountability for growing the
top- and bottom-line of the nutrition business by developing new product
platforms and line extensions, making improvements to existing products,
supporting the factories through ingredient and processing challenges as well
as maintaining product compliance to Nestle standards. This position will
primarily support our Fremont MI factory, but may also receive assignments in
our Ft. Smith factory or a variety of co-manufacturers. The goal would be to
make this individual the go to person for the Fremont factory and to be an
embedded AG resource in the Fremont factory in the next 2-3 years.
Project Assistance for Product/Process Innovation & Renovation Projects:
• The associate will be responsible for assigned projects
related to product renovations, line extensions and product related cost
savings initiatives. They will provide technical support within the
cross-functional team to execute projects from concept through scale up and
o Execute all facets of product development,
including technical direction, timeline development, recipe creation,
ingredient approvals, risk management, and technology transfer to producing
o Use current systems to introduce new products,
line extensions and ingredient and/or specification changes.
o Work with key functional groups to efficiently
complete technical transfer of new products, line extensions and process
• Provide product and process related technical assistance to our M&D
factories and Co-manufacturers where appropriate. Examples include minor
recipe modifications, managing ingredient issues, reducing foreign bodies and
managing nutritional and contaminant aspects of the ingredients and finished
• Provide Technical assistance to Co- Manufacturing, internal factories,
Purchasing and Quality Assurance by evaluating alternative ingredients,
suppliers or supplier manufacturing locations. Work with the Quality function
to review exceptional releases for ingredients and finished goods.
• Support our export market by reviewing and completing Project briefs for
the Inter Market Supply (IMS) process. Maintain Recipe and ingredient
databases where appropriate and required.
• Act as technical liaison between the Fremont factory and M&D AG
• Advice and counsel will be provided by direct supervisor as well as other
members of the M&D Technical Applications group.
• This position has no direct reports.
• The on-time delivery of new or renovated products, alternate ingredients
assessments and/or productivity project completion has significant impact to
divisional sales and profits.
REQUIREMENTS AND MINIMUM
• BS degree in Food Science, Chemical Engineering, Food Engineering or
The ideal candidate would 0-3 years Food Technologist experience.
Food Science Internships preferred.
Understanding of a typical Stage Gate project management process is a plus.
• Broad-based technical understanding of applicable technologies, development
of new products from concept through commercialization is a plus
• Background in shelf stable (1 year+) foods. Competence with development of
thermally-processed products is a plus.
• Ability to trouble-shoot technical problems associated with product
development and develop robust test protocols.
• Demonstrate mental agility to leverage knowledge across multiple product
• Partner effectively with cross-functional stakeholders through the planning
and decision-making process.
• Work independently with minimal supervision in technical disciplines after
appropriate training. Knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint and MS Project
• Knowledge of applicable Food Laws (CFR Title 21, GMP’s).
• Project management skills.
• Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work well with others – Operators, Supervisors, Managers,
R&D, Corporate, Nestec, outside resources and
• A “go-getter” takes problems head on, makes effective use of everyone’s
time, and strives to achieve timely solutions.
• A “self-starter” requiring minimal direct supervision.
• Knowledgeable in the principles of experimental design and statistics