Career Opportunities: Food Technologist (45508)
Requisition Number 45508 - Posted 04/03/2015 - Pennsylvania - Hershey
Job Title: Food Technologist
Job Location: Hershey, PA
Residing at The Hershey Company's Technical Center, this position involves a unique opportunity to manage projects associated with the continuous improvement of our existing chocolate and non-chocolate confectionery products and processes. Aligned within the highly visible Global Operations Technology group, the selected individual will travel globally up to 50% to our modern manufacturing facilities to support product and process optimization activities across various product lines. This person will be strong in the applied science of food technology and engineering from bench to manufacturing scale as opposed to being a research-oriented new product development specialist. While our product portfolios are deeply rooted in chocolate products, individuals with non-chocolate confectionery experience, such as hard candy, licorice or confectionery snacks, are equally valued for their expertise.
Responsible for providing leadership in the identification, development, and implementation of ingredient, formula, product, and process optimization projects of major importance, complexity, and scope with a focus on margin improvement, product quality and manufacturing efficiency. Scope of responsibility includes project development, optimization, validation, and implementation through bench, pilot and manufacturing scale. Utilize hands-on working knowledge of food science, food engineering, and sensory science, along with methods of confectionery manufacture in completing project assignments. Serve as the lead technical resource on project manufacturing focus teams, utilizing structured problem solving, root cause analysis, food science and food engineering principles, and experience and judgment to resolve manufacturing and product quality initiatives. Act as a consultant throughout the Company on problems within area of expertise and make authoritative technical recommendations regarding projects to be undertaken and implementation of results. Interact with other industries and institutions as required to exchange information and ideas in area of expertise as well as remain current in emerging global food science and ingredient technology trends. Provide leadership and instruction to technicians and professionals assigned to assist on a project and provide coordination of efforts of other members of the project team as is necessary.
Under general direction assume primary responsibility for undertaking and executing Food Science projects of major importance, complexity or scope. Undertake product and process optimization projects as assigned, and make suggestions for initiation of projects or their abandonment as experience allows. Assume responsibility for participating in project design and methodology, problem solving through application of knowledge and original thinking. Identify, develop and validate product and process optimization projects through preparation of experimental formulations, bench and pilot scale development and manufacturing trials. Lead project implementation to include training and sustainability initiatives. Under general direction, take initiative to secure from all available sources all pertinent advise, ideas, and information having a bearing upon a project. Provide leadership and instruction to technicians and lower level professional personnel assigned to a project. Provide coordination of efforts of other members of the project
This position can be filled at various levels depending on the education and experience level of the selected candidate:
Bachelors Degree in Food Science, Food Engineering, or Chemistry with a minimum of 6 years of applicable work experience or a Master's Degree with a minimum of 0-4 years of applicable work experience. Preference will be given to individuals with a Bachelors Degree in Food or Chemical Engineering and Masters Degree in Food Science. Experience in candy, chocolate, confectionery or related snacks strongly preferred.
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities
· Possess full knowledge of at least three branches of the applied sciences (chocolate, confectionery, candy, gum, mint, or related snacks) and the application of that discipline to the work assigned. Works independently, exercising a moderate level of judgment in project execution. Applicants with experience in Chocolate and Sugar Panning, Chocolate manufacturing preferred.
· Recognized by peers and Management as possessing expert knowledge of at least one branch of the applied sciences
· Demonstrated ability of a full working technical knowledge of product and process optimization, including formula development, manufacturing validation and implementation.
· Possess a high level of judgment and independent thinking in project execution
· Working knowledge of Food Engineering principles
· Working knowledge related to Quality Assurance, Sensory Science, Good Manufacturing Practices and laboratory practices
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Bilingual applicants in English and Spanish or Mandarin preferred.
· Proven time management skills, capable of handling multiple priorities in an expedient manner
· Interpersonal skills that allow for effective working relationship with Operators, Supervisors and Managers at a manufacturing plant.
· Attention to details required to results with sound project planning and project management skills
· Self starting, hands on and results oriented
· Proficient computer literacy, basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
· Ability to work in a team environment and independently in a flexible work environment with changing priorities
· Demonstrated competence operating plant and/or lab equipment; High level of comfort working in a lab, pilot, and manufacturing environment.
· Ability to accommodate unusual and extended work hours as required for project completion
· Ability to travel up to 50%
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com