Career Opportunities: Scientist, Research & Development - Grain & Baking Mixes (29066) - OH – Orrville
Req Id 29066 - Posted 04/15/2015 - Quality Assurance / Research and Development / Sensory - N/A - OH - Orrville (Corporate Office) - Professional / Administrative - United States
For more than 115 years, The J.M. Smucker Company has been committed to offering consumers quality products that bring families together to share memorable meals and moments. Today, Smucker is a leading marketer and manufacturer of fruit spreads, retail packaged coffee, peanut butter, shortening and oils, ice cream toppings, sweetened condensed milk, and natural foods products in North America. Its family of brands includes Smucker's®, Folgers®, Dunkin’ Donuts®, Jif®, Crisco®, Pillsbury®, Eagle Brand®, R.W. Knudsen Family®, Hungry Jack®, Café Bustelo®, Café Pilon®, truRoots®, White Lily® and Martha White® in the United States, along with Robin Hood®, Five Roses®, Carnation® and Bick's® in Canada. The Company remains rooted in the Basic Beliefs of Quality, People, Ethics, Growth and Independence established by its founder and namesake more than a century ago. For more information about the Company, visit www.jmsmucker.com.
Scientist, Research and Development - Grain & Baking Mixes
Orrville, Ohio (Greater Cleveland area)
~A comprehensive relocation package may be available.
Manager, Research and Development (Markham, Canada)
· Provide innovative ideas leading to the application of new products and technologies related to milling, chemically leavened and yeast leavened baking mixes and grain based products for Canadian Retail Market.
· Participate in cross functional teams to deliver new products to meet business objectives, deliver initiatives and departmental projects.
· Efficiently and successfully formulates new and improves current products leveraging consumer/customer and marketing feedback and sensory shelf-life results.
· Responsible for the development of prototypes, bench work, evaluation of ingredients, optimization of formulas for quality, performance, consumer-liking and profitability in labs, pilot plants, manufacturing facilities and co-packers.
· Lead development of grain based projects for Canadian Retail Market.
· Responsible for Canadian Crop Transition with mills. Support the testing of the new crop flour, and develop an understanding of how the new crop affects existing products. Suggest measures for the transition and specification.
· Provide technical expertise and lead Performance Optimization and Cost Savings projects.
· Known internally for technical expertise and demonstrates effective technical leadership skills with particular emphasis on: food science, statistics, food chemistry, shelf-life and modes of failure, ingredient functionality, sensory techniques, scale-up, ingredient processing interactions, analytical and test procedures, formulation, prototype development and patent reading and understanding.
· Collaborate with external suppliers to provide innovative and technical solutions throughout the new product process.
· Prepares and maintains product specifications.
· Builds support for ideas within the teams. Supports development of business/technical strategies.
· Act as a Grain technical resource to cross functional business partners.
· Supports customer inquiries.
· Bachelor of Science degree is required
· Degrees in Food Science, Grain Science, or Bakery Science are preferred
· Master’s degree is a plus
· 5 or more years of relevant experience in Research & Development is strongly preferred
· Experience in formulation of chemical and yeast leavened bakery products is preferred
o Ambient, Refrigerated and/or Frozen Dough experience would be helpful
· Experience in Grain Science and/or Bakery Science is preferred
· Flour Milling experience is preferred
o North American knowledge of milling industry would be a plus
· Project Management experience is preferred
· Independent, ability to work under remote supervision
· Building and maintaining relationships with marketing, operations, quality assurance, and other R&D team members in both US and Canada
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent presentation skills
· Must be able to travel up to 30% of the time and work off-shift to support project requirements
The J.M. Smucker Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). No person will be discriminated against in any aspect of his or her employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, marital status, familial status, disability, genetic information, protected veteran/military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com