Our client develops and manufactures high quality,
innovative fruit preparations for the international milk, bakery and
confectionery industries. Their success is based on expertise and
innovation. They have a new opportunity for a Product Development Scientist
- Food at their location in the Northeast.
General Purpose: Responsible for developing new
products and technologies as deemed strategically significant by Product
Development Manager and Sales, ultimately leading to the growth and
maintenance of the business. The close interaction with Sales and customer
allows for the effective management of projects. Position utilizes personal
and internal technical expertise as well as vendor technical resources to
develop products that will support customer growth.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintain development laboratories in organized manner for efficient
2. Develop new (or modify existing) products that meet customer performance
and cost objectives.
3. Provide technical expertise and guidance to customers and internal
4. Complete assigned projects within designated time frame and designated
priority. Notify R&D Management and Sales & Marketing of any
5. Supervise and train temporary staffing or summer interns as requested.
6. Design and conduct experiments, evaluate new raw materials, examine
competitive products, develop new technologies, etc. to grow business or
maintain/enhance product quality and/or position in industry. Identify
opportunities for development of novel products and technologies.
7. Prepare information using designated systems to provide all required
documentation for products (e.g. formulations, specifications, nutritional
information, product data sheets, certifications, labels, costing, etc.).
8. Transfer of formulas and technology to Operations by participation in
new product scale-up activities. Provide technical support to Operations
for optimization of new and existing products.
9. Keep supervisor and management informed of critical activities through
issuance of clear, informative communications including memos, meeting
minutes, e-mail messages, etc. Write concise, professional reports upon
completion of major projects to summarize and explain results.
10. Use designated procedures and systems required for efficient operation
of R&D laboratory, including enhancement of documentation systems, as
11. Support and adhere to all Company health, safety and HR policies and
12. Contribute to the image of the Company through publications, formal
presentations, presence at industry functions, customers, etc. as
13. Provide leadership for entry into new market segments, as well as offer
improvements to formulas/processes for existing product lines.
14. Perform other duties as assigned by R&D Manager.
Inside Company - All departments with emphasis on Sales/Marketing,
Outside Company - Customers, suppliers, consultants, laboratory services,
Supervision Exercised - Product Development
Technicians and temporary support staff, as requested.
Scope of Position - Product and technical expertise required to support
maintenance and growth of Company. Provide supervision to technician and
temporary support staff as requested.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Good leadership and project management skills.
Ability to work in a team environment.
Strong familiarity with functional ingredients, product formulations,
thermal processes and production scale equipment.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Excellent organizational skills.
Computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, SAP and
Ability to work with customers' technical staff and internal parties.
Requires the ability to deal with internal/external customers in a
Requires domestic travel to support business
Experience, Knowledge and Education:
BS degree in Food Science or related discipline.
Minimum 3-5 years' product development experience in related product areas;
flavor expertise in product formulation, process scale-up, food
regulations, use of functional ingredients such as stabilizers, starches,
colors, and fruit in formulations.
MS degree and having worked in the flavor industry is preferred.
All applicants for this position must be authorized
to work in the United States now and in the future without requiring
For additional information, please contact Susan Canarick, (954) 428-3888
- Food product development: 3