Under the direction of the Culinary R&D
Manager, this position is responsible for assisting with technical,
hands-on product development and project management from concept
development through to commercial launch of new products primarily in the
dairy, dairy alternative, beverage, and baked goods areas.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
· Manage and execute product development projects for new, improved,
and/or more cost effective products in support of franchisees’ business
· Under supervision of R & D Manager, participate in development of:
product formulations; lab scale, intermediate and full scale production
processes; product, process, and quality specifications. This includes
recommending and executing or assisting with execution of sensory testing
and consumer testing.
· Assist the Quality department with evaluation of product versus
existing specifications and develop a cutting schedule.
· Maintain strong relationships and partner internally with Marketing,
Innovation, Licensing, QA, Operations, and Training departments as well
as externally with co-packers, suppliers, and various technical resources
to identify opportunities, and execute projects in support of strategic
· Proficient in understanding how to create bench-top samples
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities :
· Basic understanding of how various ingredients interact and are
transformed during processing to result in finished products as well as
understanding of critical factors related to product stability and
· Ability to calculate formula manipulations and thorough understanding
of product composition as it relates to ingredient composition
Intermediate computer and math skills required – at a minimum Microsoft
· Technical Capability - In-depth technical and scientific abilities
including using appropriate scientific design, ensuring proper technical
execution, and interpretation or results.
· Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Completes projects on
time and budget.
· Analytical thinking and critical problem solving skills with a strong
drive for results - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner;
Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative
solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations
· Strong ability to communicate and work together on technical and cross
· B.S. Degree in Food Science or Culinary related degree
· 1-2 years food product development experience, preferred
· Must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
Job Environment and Conditions:
Working conditions are indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
This job requires the ability to operate, clean, sanitize, troubleshoot,
and maintain, various pieces and types of food laboratory, restaurant
kitchen, and food production equipment including balances, pH meter,
moisture measurement equipment, ice cream freezers, ovens, stoves,
mixers, blenders, etc.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to talk and hear and must be able to remain in a stationary
position for at least 50% of the time or more. The employee must occasionally
lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by
this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions.