The comprehensive food
safety information website
NIR Laboratory Specialist-TEN00040 – Tennessee
Position Title: Research Laboratory Specialist
Reports To: Research Laboratory Manager
Family: Science& Technology
Location: Thompson’s Station, TN (TNT)
Level of Role
Number of Reports
Purpose of Role
The scope of this role is to perform a variety of NIR measurements and to produce accurate results on time. They are responsible for communication of data and/or results in an informative, accurate and timely manner. The Lab specialist will also contribute to the maintenance of the NIR laboratory and NIR instrumentation to ensure a high-quality, safe and efficient laboratory operation.
· Provide the technical support, training and maintenance of NIR instrumentation, software and calibrations used at manufacturing sites within the Petfood segment.
· Execute projects that support the deployment of the Mars Inc. NIR strategy.
· Provide training to support the governance from global to regional and regional to local.
· Conduct and report the results of established laboratory procedures including NIR spectroscopic and materials characterization methods.
· Assists in the validation of NIR methods applicable to raw materials, process intermediates and finished products.
· Coordinates and conducts additional laboratory procedures (NIR/standard prep/sample preparation) depending on project demands.
· Identifies inconsistencies in NIR results and brings them to the attention of a lead NIR scientist and/or supervisor. Reports results to clients when deemed appropriate by supervisor.
· Maintains documentation of NIR results in a company issued notebook and/or a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
· Maintains laboratory equipment and necessary supplies (e.g. chemicals, solvents, glassware).
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
· Competent in common laboratory procedures and practices employed in a modern NIR laboratory.
· Demonstrated experience and skill with Spreadsheet software (MS Excel preferred), Word, ELN, and Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS).
· Excellent organizational skills to adapt to fluctuating workloads while maintaining appropriate attention to detail.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently or as a member of a team.
· Practical laboratory skills and ability to troubleshoot/maintain complex laboratory instrumentation.
Decision Making Authority and Impact
· Interpret NIR results.
· Communicates issues to appropriate laboratory personnel or management.
· Changes to laboratory operations resulting in improved quality, safety or efficiency.
· 1 year experience in a technical field within the food or related industry.
· NIR experience
· Travel 15- 20%.
· Bachelor’s in Food Science, Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, or related field is preferred.
· Preferred experience with LIMS and ELN.
Every associate at Mars has responsibility for the achievement of quality and food safety.
a privately-held, family-owned company, Mars Petcare
US offers benefits which reflect our commitment to attracting and retaining
great people. This includes excellent pay, competitive health and dental care
coverage, a retirement plan, a very competitive vacation plan and unrivalled
career advancement opportunities, to name just a few of our unique and
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Mars Inc. is a tobacco free workplace.
Research and Development
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com