Evaluate new products, new ingredients, production techniques and new
formulas. Record and assess results in reports to management. Provide
technical service to customers.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Assist in the process to complete projects in pilot plant, including
projects using the steam kettle, spray dryer, glatt
or other equipment. Report and evaluate results. Maintain equipment in
working and clean order.
· Perform tests on new formulas to evaluate actual results compared to
predicted results. Assist with formula and product end use evaluation.
· Perform tests on current production materials as required by customer
requests or complaints.
· Assist customers with technical service. Take sample requests, fax and
send requested technical information. Calculate necessary nutritional
· Test and suggest alternate ingredients in order to evaluate suitability
for substitution in an existing production situation.
· Maintain integrity of R&D laboratory environment through accurate test
design and set up, good sanitary practices and maintenance of equipment
in good working order.
· Assist in adapting R&D formulas to full production quantities.
Provide technical assistance in the operational goals to meet production
requirements. Develop tests to allow quality control to evaluate
functionality of finished goods.
· Stay current with new technology and developments and maintain
professional contacts with individuals and organizations.
· Participate in scheduled meetings.
Work Experience Requirements
To perform the job successfully, one must be or become familiar with
principles of spray drying; operating pilot plant equipment including,
steam kettles, homogenizer, dryer, plate heat exchanger, and Glatt; the ability to design tests and accurately
report them is needed.
Must work well with others, have good problem solving and communication
skills, and have the ability to work independently. Mechanical and
computer skills are a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Must be able to work on their feet for extended periods of time. Will be
required to lift and carry large boxes. Work environment may be noisy,
wet, and slippery and hot at times.
Bachelor’s degree in Physical Chemistry and Food Science, Food
Technology, Food Chemistry or closely related physical science area is
required. 2 - 5 years’ experience in a food laboratory in a dairy or
spray drying facility.