Job Title: R & D Food Technologist – Santa Rosa, CA
Department: R & D
Reports To: VP, Culinary
The R&D Food Technologist will be creative, organized and an excellent communicator. They will be responsible for consulting on process development, product improvement, scale-up from bench to production and all communication and documentation between R&D and the other departments. This position reports to the R&D Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES may include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Provides technical expertise and communicates technical progress for assigned projects
· Plans, organizes and leads experiments in the laboratory, pilot plant, plant trials and commercialization
· Creates and maintains formulations, specifications, processes, and testing procedures
· Records, compiles and analyzes test results and writes report
· Understands product cost drivers and opportunities for improvements
· Manages assigned internal R&D projects utilizing scientific protocols and food science principles
· Maintain full and accurate documentation of all R&D related activities.
· Effective at scale up from bench to production floor of new products.
· Operates and maintains instruments essential for gathering information for the development of new products as well as interpret data from equipment.
· Provides support to the Operations Team on efficiency initiatives, alternate ingredient testing and sourcing and validation of new ingredients.
· Interacts with Marketing, Raw Materials, Planning, Manufacturing, QA and other departments to ensure proper project execution.
· Effectively communicate and provide technical support to Sales, Quality Assurance and Production departments.
· Interface with R&D team, management group, QA and production personnel on as needed basis.
· Manage and complete assigned research & development projects within specified timelines.
· Oversee pilot and start-up batches, adapting formulas and processes as required.
· Establish product specifications on new products and update as needed.
· Ensure new products are in compliance with all regulations and certifications.
· Effectively communicate with R&D Manager on projects
This position does not directly supervise other Amy’s employees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Knowledge of food chemistry, microbiology, composition, analysis, processes and regulations
· Strong technical skills and good relevant industrial experience
· Solid culinary foundation with a background in food science principles
· Strong attention to detail and meticulous in paperwork preparation
· Good understanding of production and process scale up
· Ability to develop and execute action plans for each project including experimental design, bench top, pilot plant, plant trials and commercialization
· Ability to evaluate and utilize technical information from internal and external sources
· Ability to lead development and implementation of key product improvements, productivity initiatives, new products and line extensions
· Ability to work with suppliers to identify technical solutions
· Strong interpersonal and influencing skills
· Excellent organization and communication skills and computer literacy
· Must be able to work with minimal supervision
· Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Food Technology or relevant field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· 1-3 years of food industry experience with a strong food background
· Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, technical bulletins, specifications and legal documents.
· Ability to effectively present information to all levels of management and to suppliers
· Ability to speak Spanish is preferred, but not required.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org