The comprehensive food
safety information website
Senior Food Technologist - Northlake, Ill
ARYZTA is a $3B global food business with a leadership position in specialty bakery. We are based in Zurich, Switzerland, with operations in North America, South America, Europe, South East Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. ARYZTA, LLC in North America is headquartered in Los Angeles, California. Created by the integration of La Brea Bakery, Otis Spunkmeyer, Fresh Start Bakeries and Great Kitchens, ARYZTA provides a broad range of quality baked goods. Our bakery expertise includes: artisan breads, buns, English muffins, and frozen bread dough; cookies, pastries, muffins, and other sweet goods; laminated dough and puff pastry; take & bake pizza; donuts and other mixes, fillings, icings, and glazes.
This position is located at our Northlake bakery facility.
The Senior Food Technologist is first and foremost a developer of new food offerings for Aryzta. In addition the Sr. FT is a subject matter expert in his/her field of development and in the processes required for commercializing those products. The Sr. FT reports to the R&D/Comm Manager level or above and may also have Food Technologists and/or Food Technicians reporting to him/her. There is no budgetary responsibility for the Sr. FT other than to develop within any given price range. Also, the Sr. FT is responsible for managing his/her expenses in a timely and frugal manner.
New Product Development Initiatives (customer centric and blue sky):
· Understanding of customer expectations, project objectives, and target consumer
· Ability to conduct a competitive analysis of customer’s current supplier and competitive offerings.
· Detailed understanding of functionality of ingredients.
· Ability to develop new prototypes on aggressive timelines and specific restrictions. (Example of restrictions: maximum cost per unit, specific labelling requirements such as “natural,” specific shelf life requirements, etc.)
· Maintain detailed records of work.
· Ability to conduct an effective sensory evaluation, analyse the results, and use learnings in future development.
· Plan and execute line trials including procuring ingredients, communicating and planning with bakery team, and providing cost, change request, and technical documentation.
· Effective communication across interdepartmental teams.
· Ability to present to internal and external customers, and explain the niche the food product will satisfy – be able to speak clearly and thoroughly about our foods as a representative of Aryzta.
Bakery Technical Resource:
· Provide bakery with updated formulation and specification information.
· Ability to review and approve alternative ingredient suppliers.
· Attend bakery production runs, as needed, to provide technical knowledge and suggestions for ongoing operations/quality improvement.
Marketing/Sales Technical Resource:
· Provide the marketing/sales team with information detailing formulation information.
· Understand and be able to speak about product lines to educate the marketing/sales team.
· Provide immediate and ongoing information to sales about new product development information in order to meet our customer centric goals.
· Provide samples as needed.
Ability to self-manage projects:
· Organization skills
· Time management skills
· Leadership skills
· Communication skills
· Technical document skills
· AA/BA/BS in Food Science or related field required. Additional bakery education preferred
· 2-3 years working as an industrial food developer required.
· Bakery development experience preferred.
· Skilled at Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
· Knowledgeable of SAP and Genesis.
· Understanding of OEC Graphics, Discovery, SharePoint, etc.
· Domestic travel up to 20% of time. Occasional international travel.
· Sound basic math skills required (addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, ease with fractions and decimals).
· Ability to read and understand a basic formula.
Monday - Friday (7:30am - 5pm)
Northlake, Illinois, United States
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org