Consumer Healthcare (PCH) is among the largest over-the-counter
(OTC) health care products companies in the world, with a global
footprint of operations in more than 90 counties. We maintain
leadership positions in many markets and sell two of the top 10
global brands (Advil® and Centrum®). PCH develops, manufactures and
markets leading non-prescription medicines, vitamins and
nutritional products. We strive to bring new and better solutions
to market to help consumers around the world support their health
and enhance personal wellbeing.
PC drives growth through major global brands including Centrum®
(the world’s #1 multivitamin), Caltrate®
(the world’s #1 calcium supplement) and Advil® (the world’s #1
ibuprofen analgesic brand). The division’s major categories consist
of Pain Management, Dietary Supplements, Upper Respiratory,
Personal Care and Gastrointestinal.
Consumer Healthcare is looking for a Flavor Chemist (Pharma), Taste Creation Platform, to join our
Global Operations Research & Development team in Richmond, VA.
• Proactive, positive and engaged team member who will work with
all therapeutic areas and dosage forms in the PCH portfolio.
• A member of the Global R&D Taste Creation and Flavor
Innovation Team driving productive interfaces with internal and
external partners such as Product Design, Analytical, Pfizer Global
Supply (PGS), Quality and manufacturing teams as well as strategic
partners to provide assessments and drive implementation of new
flavor development technologies, processes and capabilities.
• Contribute directly to the development of novel, innovative taste
& flavor profiles in a wide range dosage forms for dietary
supplements, pain management, gastrointestinal, upper respiratory
and personal care.
• Ensures projects are planned and completed using sound technical
principles in accordance with agreed upon project timing.
• Participates in due diligence, new business opportunity and
• Effective and influential presentations and writing skills with
the ability to tailor messages to a variety of audiences as
appropriate (e.g. external, commercial, management, scientific).
• Conduct work in a manner compliant with applicable federal, state
and local regulations and Pfizer policies.
• Understands product development and facility management requirements
in both a development and cGMP manufacturing environment.
A member of the Taste Creation and Flavor Innovation Team within
Global R&D Operations, contributing to flavor profile
improvement or development, bitterness masking, off-taste
mitigation, sweetness enhancement, to the development of
structure-function relationships of taste-active compounds, and to
collaborative efforts with internal/external partners.
1. Help build departmental technology capabilities in the Flavor Development
2. Contribute to product development efforts in PCH Global R&D
working closely with Product Design, Analytical, PGS Technology and
3. Contribute to the evaluation of technologies to support the
development of novel, innovative product flavor profiles that
delight the consumer.
4. Has an understanding of manufacturing unit process, development
and manufacturing operations as well as compliance requirements in
a cGMP environment.
5. Exhibits a deep understanding of experimental design and
analysis leading to robust conclusions and subsequent decisions.
6. Direct flavor application activities to support existing and new
business growth opportunities at targeted Dietary Supplement, Over
the Counter and Ethical Pharmaceutical, Consumer Health and Medical
7. 10+ Years of active flavor creation and application work a plus
8. Must have understanding of GC/MS, LC/MS and other industry
standards for flavor analysis.
9. Anticipate, investigate and resolve problems with raw materials,
flavor systems and finished products.
10. Participate directly and provide cross-functional leadership in
strategic categories and platform initiatives.
11. Assists in Flavor Training Program and provides technical
services and guidance globally.
Prefer Masters or Ph.D. in Flavor Chemistry, Flavor Science,
Chemistry, Food Sciences, Food Chemistry. Advanced
degree in Pharmaceutics or related discipline also acceptable.
BS degree with a minimum of 18 years of relevant experience
MS degree with a minimum of 13 years of relevant experience
Ph.D. degree with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience
• The ability to impact the development of novel flavor and taste
masking capabilities across all brand franchise teams and
• Demonstrated ability to interface with third party flavor houses
to exploit current trends in global flavor systems and leverage
these in PCH products
• Proven communication and collaboration skills
• Proven scientific and technical leadership and problem solving
Equal Employment Opportunity
committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of
employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender
identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or
veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national,
state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as
well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification
requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA.
Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Additional Offer Details:
Foreign nationals whose eligibility to work requires
sponsorship or maintenance of valid immigration status may not be
eligible for this position.