QC Technician - Reno, NV
Location: Reno, NV, US, 89434
Date: Jun 22, 2016
Requisition Number: 70122
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your
ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a
profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of
our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make
it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet.
What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you
need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your
side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do
business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career,
you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never
just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how
you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue
mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared
to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little
better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a
special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a
Mars has net sales of
more than $33 billion, operates six business segments including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks, Symbioscience, and more than 75,000 Associates worldwide
that are putting its Principles into action to make a difference for people
and the planet through its performance.
Mars brands include: Petcare – PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, BANFIELD®
Pet Hospital, CESAR®, SHEBA®, DREAMIES® and NUTRO®; Chocolate – M&M’S®,
SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX®; Wrigley –
DOUBLEMINT®, EXTRA®, ORBIT® and 5™ chewing gums, SKITTLES® and STARBURST®
candies, and ALTOIDS® AND LIFESAVERS® mints. Food – UNCLE BEN’S®, DOLMIO®,
EBLY®, MASTERFOODS®, SEEDS OF CHANGE® and ROYCO®; Drinks – ALTERRA COFFEE
ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA COMPANY™, KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience
– COCOAVIA® and WISDOM PANEL®.
The Quality Assurance Technician Role:
The Quality Assurance
Technician reports into a Quality Services Process Systems Technician or a
Lead QA Lab Technician. As a site based Quality Services resource, this
position also requires working closely with Operations, Maintenance, R&D,
Production and Processing.
Every associate at Mars has the responsibility for the
achievement of quality and food safety.
- Working knowledge of Food
- Perform activities of Quality
Services as detailed in Quality Assurance Manual. Assure checks are
documented clearly and cross referenced and traceable.
- Communicate results of routine
QA tests to production personnel.
- Notify supervisory personnel
and QS Supervisor of product quality or plant conditions which may have
a negative impact on product, and work together to correct the
- In the case of finished
product, perform follow-up testing until situation is corrected and
product disposition is resolved in a quality conscious manner.
- Maintain and report hold/reject
product, and assure its proper disposition.
- Collect routine ingredient and
finished product samples as required (detailed in QA Manual).
- Generate Quality Control
reports as delegated by QS Supervisors.
- Assist with line trials to
improve product, process, and packaging quality.
- Ability to work independently
as well as within a team setting.
- Knowledge of Food Safety
(HACCP), Quality Systems, and Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft
- Technicians must honestly,
neatly and completely document their observations so informed decisions
regarding quality can be made
- May have to perform special
non-routine tasks associated with corporate requests, projects and tests
- Support plant management in a
like manner regarding non-routine assignments such as supply inventory
and "hold" re-evaluations
- Keep laboratory equipment clean
and in proper working order unless repairs are beyond their
- Collects composites, ERs, and
Swab samples for Salmonella testing at Mars/outside labs (daily).
- Collects ERs and Swabs for Enterobacteriaceae testing at Mars/outside labs
- Collects airborne mold samples
for testing at Mars/outside labs (weekly).
- Other similar duties as
assigned by supervisors
for this job are:
- Most recent Performance
appraisal with a minimum of “Meets” expectations and not more than 1
- No active disciplinary notices.
attendance (No more than 3 incidents and
no discipline above an Initial Warning).
- Must not be afraid of heights;
must be capable of working at elevated heights
- Must not be unusually sensitive
to chemicals (contact lenses not recommended).
- Vision correctable to
- Must be able to stand on feet
for long periods of time.
- Standing on a concrete floor
- Wearing proper personal
protective equipment (hair net, bump cap, ear plugs, safety shoes,
- Bending, stooping, twist, turn,
standing for extended time periods, reaching, climbing stairs, and
lifting up to 55 lbs
- Must be able to adapt to
temperature and environmental extremes such as hot to cold, dust dirt
- Able to work with minimal
- Forklift assignments require
OSHA certification and getting on and off frequently
- Able to work with minimal
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of
measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to move light to
moderately heavy objects.
- Ability to visually receive and
- Ability to understand written
and printed material.
- Ability to understand verbal
- Ability to actively exchange
ideas/thoughts with others.
- Ability to detect, recognize
and judge differences or changes in sound.
- Ability to monitor machines or
equipment to make sure they are operating properly; note changes in what
machines measure or monitor.
- Ability to work varying shifts
under stressful conditions such as heat, cold, high and or confined spaces
and have mobility with ability to climb ladders and stairs and do
repetitive bending and twisting.
- Ability to handle tools or
- Ability to work under tight
schedules in high pressure situations.
- While performing the duties of
this job, the associate is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid
conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or
airborne particles; extreme cold; extreme heat; and risk of electrical
- The associate is frequently
exposed to vibration.
- The associate is occasionally
exposed to outside weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work
environment is usually very loud.
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have a High school diploma, GED
or equivalent education
- Demonstrated competency in
computer and pc software including MS Office and email
- Must be willing and able to
work and accept varying shifts and schedules
- Ability to understand and
effectively communicate in the English language
- Good basic math, reading and
- Good communication skills
- Ability to learn to operate
quality control testing equipment
- Basic knowledge of personal
- Ability to work in a self directed manner with minimal supervision and a
- High Level of mechanical
aptitude and knowledge, with good skills in troubleshooting and problem
- Basic knowledge of Safety,
Quality and Material Management Systems and procedures.
- Basic knowledge of food safety,
GMP, GHOP, HACCP, SPC
- Demonstrated ability to work in
a team environment
Mars is an equal
opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic
protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the
application process because of a disability, it is available upon request.
The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be
penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Major Market: Reno
Nearest Secondary Market: Tahoe
Job Segment: Technician, Electrical,
Outside Sales, Quality Assurance, Testing, Technology, Engineering, Sales