We’re seeking qualified candidates for an Entry-level
Lab Assistant contract position in the Winchester, VA area. This is a great
opportunity to gain industry exposure in the scientific industry!
Position Summary: Basic knowledge of lab set up in
order to pull and properly handle samples for chemical, microbiological,
retains and shelf life analysis of all dairy and non-dairy products. This
position is required to be knowledgeable in basic lab quality control
skills and be able to identify quality issues on the lines and report to
proper personnel. This is an entry-level position into the lab to train
individuals on testing protocols and importance of accurate data collection
as it pertains to quality.
HOURS: There are 2 shifts available,
both are a rotating swing shift (meaning you will only work 3-4 days per
week, on 12 hour shifts).
1st shift: 6am-6pm
2nd shift: 6pm-6am
*Preference will be given to candidates who are
flexible to either shift
PAY RANGE: $13-14/hour depending on experience
- Primary responsibility is to pull all required samples in the established
time periods allowing laboratory to be able to identify product issues as
they are running on the line. Verifies that product meets the required
specifications on the line, such as codes, packaging, absence of leakers,
etc. and that operator, coordinators and laboratory resources as well as
senior techs are aware of any deviations when they are noted. Understands
the importance of this notification process and how it affects profitability
of the plant when out-of-spec product is ran.
- Required to know how to run and interpret the results on the following
tests: vacuum checks; temperature; appearance; weights; code date
verifications; packaging checks; seal check verification; pH or T.A.; coffee
testing; shelf life verification; pulling retains for customer complaints;
flavor; odor; peroxide checks on Evergreen packaging; Oxonia
tests on Serac for POAA levels; spin tests;
pre-setting the carts in incubators for microbiological testing; calibrations
and standards; etc. Other testing may be required as well.
- Responsible for the daily cleanup and review of racking systems in the
incubators and coolers. Also must set up racks before the lines start.
- Must maintain lab in a clean and organized fashion which includes removal
of trash, consolidating and organizing supplies, wiping down counters,
equipment and walls, sweeping, mopping, etc. prior to end of shift.
- Involvement in team-oriented processes in order to ascertain improvements
within the lab and plant.
- Various tasks involving the responsibility of the food safety and quality
of company products.
- Some familiarity with laboratory processes,
manufacturing and/or quality control.
- High school education and/or GED required.
- AS/BS in Food Science or Sciences is preferred.
- Knowledge of food standards and handling, HACCP, any sciences training,
and/or dairy experience all considered a plus.
- Physical/Mental requirements including, but not limited to: mobility
through plant, lifting, succeeding in a fast paced environment, juggling
multiple tasks, etc.
- Must be able to pull Serac lines in 20-minute
intervals and Paper lines in 30-minute intervals.