Site Quality and Food Safety Manager-CLI00256 - Clinton, OK
Position Title: Site Quality and Food Safety Manager
Reports To: Regional Quality and Food Safety Manager
Family: Quality Assurance (R&D)
Location: Clinton, OK
Level of Role
Number of Reports
Direct (non-management) - 2 or more
Indirect (non-management) - 2 or more
Purpose of Role
This position leads the site Quality Assurance resources to assure the on-going production of high quality and safe food products that comply with product design and meet or exceed customer and consumer expectations. As a member of the site staff, the position is responsible to implement all quality systems, assure effective change management and drive continuous process improvement. As the primary R&D representative at the site, the position has shared accountability to support research projects in raw materials, product development and process improvement.
· Manages all quality assurance and laboratory (technical services) functions for the site.
· As a member of the site staff, participates in and influences the development and implementation of site strategies.
· Provides direction and influence for the development, implementation and continuous improvement of all quality systems.
· Assures that all products and packs produced at the site are safe for consumption and conform to the intended product design. This includes being responsible for actively supporting change management and process improvement as the R&D Quality Champion.
· Supports the quality and product safety components of all R&D driven projects at the site through quality planning, and by project oversight for compliance to GMP’s and other company policies and standards.
· In partnership with the Implementation Deployment team, supports the site implementation of all new products, line extensions and continuous quality improvement projects including the effective execution of line trials and execution of process capability evaluations.
· Manages the internal quality audit function for site and assures the effectiveness of the corrective and preventative action process within the framework of the plant’s Quality Management System.
· Represent the “owners” of the Mars business at the site with respect to the quality and safety of products and the food processing environment. This responsibility includes participation in the management of crises involving products, and the timely communication of the investigation results through R&D and Supply. Also responsible for the on-going interpretation and reporting of information from our customers and consumers, and the identification and analysis of trends, which may trigger an investigation.
· Manage QFS Technologists in the site to assure skills development and build clear succession planning, manage daily attendance, and associate development plans. Provide timely feedback on performance and provide training opportunities which align with development plans.
· Ensure adherence to the Mars Global Quality and Food Safety Standards.
· Recommendation for food safety decisions that can have catastrophic impact to consumer protection and Brand image.
· Support field retrieval of product that could result in significant financial business impact.
· Product conformance to specifications and requirements.
· Notification of product quality and safety issues; identifying business risks and expedient communication of issues.
· Approval of change management activities.
· Staffing requirements and changes in alignment of resources.
· Management of site quality budget.
· Execution and planning of internal audit and CAPA program (budgeting, resource allocation, etc.).
· Technical training requirements for the team and their individual development plans.
· Local equipment purchases, including laboratory instrumentation.
· Recommendation for line operation shut down due to product quality or safety issues in the process or site environment.
· Product dispositions for held items.
· As a staff member, participate in the development and implementation of site strategies.
· Local quality systems projects for site improvement.
· Laboratory analytical support required to troubleshoot and resolve site issues.
Critical Functional Competencies
· Conflict Management
· Customer Focus
· Developing Direct Reports
· Hiring & Staffing
· Managing Vision & Purpose
· Building Effective Teams
· Technical/Functional Skills
· Action Oriented
· Dealing with Ambiguity
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
· HACCP and food safety management
· FSSC22000 scheme and quality management systems
· Project & Change Management Processes
· Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
· Integrated Sanitation and Pest Control Management
· GMP and Personnel Hygiene Management
· Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Food Science, Engineering or related technical field
· A minimum of 3 years of experience in a technical area such as R&D, product development, laboratory management, quality management systems, or food process engineering.
· Experience effectively leading a team and accomplishing goals through others.
· Basic understanding of regulatory and food law, including AAFCO Guidelines
· Advanced degree is desirable
Every associate at Mars has responsibility for the achievement of quality and food safety.
a privately-held, family-owned company, Mars Petcare
US offers benefits which reflect our commitment to attracting and retaining
great people. This includes excellent pay, competitive health and dental care
coverage, a retirement plan, a very competitive vacation plan and unrivalled
career advancement opportunities, to name just a few of our unique and
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Mars Inc. is a tobacco free workplace.
Research and Development
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org