The position is responsible for all aspects of analytical laboratory processes including technology, methodology, laboratory proficiency measurements, research, and scientific processes. This position is responsible for application and evaluation of approved microbiological techniques and methodologies used in all FSNS laboratories in the analysis of food products as they relate to accreditation, certification, and customer requirements. This position will have contact with customers, laboratory staff and will review new business and special projects proposals. This role may have supervisory responsibilities.
· Direct the design and implementation of proficiency programs within the laboratory network
· Ensure the Company maintains cutting edge technology for customer satisfaction and competitive advantage
· Develop executive business and scientific presentations
· Prepare business proposals and scientific research papers
· Attend a variety of scientific and industry specific trade show and conferences to maintain a network of contacts for new business development
· Manage quality and technical training programs while maintaining efficiencies throughout the operational network
· Evaluate the Quality System ISO 17025 standards, ensuring accreditation of new and existing laboratory facilities by complying with regulatory and accreditation standards, documentation and records maintenance
· Understand and interpret USDA-FSIS, FDA and FESMA regulations and guidelines
· Oversee management of all special research projects. Prepare and/or approve all final special reports
· Interact directly with operational staff and clients to discuss food safety concerns, testing needs and results. Provide technical guidance to laboratory operations staff.
· Manage and work with the Special Project Team to deliver high quality and timely research projects including:
o Timely customer contact
o Proposal design
o Data analysis and presentation
o Scientific report writing
· Compile data in various analytical formats
· Interpret data and present findings with appropriate documentation, references, and supporting material to the food and other associated industries
· Identify critical needs for special projects requested by customers
· Stay up-to-date on technological advances and industry trends
· Maintain extensive expertise in the food industry, specifically to the requirements of E. coli O157:H7, Salmonella and Listeria species/L. mono testing.
· Maintain proficiency in the practical applications of vendor test kits, method validation, and industry regulations.
· Advise organization's governing body in scientific matters
· Serve public relations functions by representing the scientific goals and interests of the company at press conferences, meetings, conventions and shareholder events
· Budget preparation for contracts, research and special projects; inclusive of capital outlay, labor, and cost analysis to determine levels of service offered with method, pricing, requirements, and turn-around-time.
· Supervise direct report staff using a progressive management style demonstrating leadership and individual development and proficiencies
· Support the sales and marketing team when necessary
· Facilitates overall company growth
· Travel as necessary for the duties and responsibilities of this position
· Share information in an open and timely manner
· Responsible for the safety of oneself and others working within their area
· Responsible for the completion of required training
This job may have supervisory responsibilities. Carries out responsibilities in accordance with organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
· Ph.D. in Food Science, Food Technology, Microbiology, Chemistry, or related field
· 10 years of directly related expertise with multiple food matrices
· Advanced studies in food science and/or microbiological analysis
· Experience with managing a technical services team
· Worked in a progressive customer service focus business environment
· 10 years of industrial food safety and quality assurance experience is preferred
· Or equivalent combination of education and experience
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following:
· Computer - Proficient in data entry, standard business office software, internet tools, and Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
· Customer Service - Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance timely. Excellent customer service skills and the ability to understand and resolve scientific issues, answer questions and gain customer confidence.
· Verbal and Written Communication; Language Skills - Clarity of speech, remaining calm and focused, being polite and make effective presentations to diverse groups. Edits work for spelling and grammar. Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
· Mathematical Skills - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; Ability to perform financial calculations, compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
· Analytical, Problem Solving, & Organizational Skills - Gathers and analyzes information skillfully and can efficiently execute on plans/ideas. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
· Reasoning Ability - Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
· Ethics, Judgment, & Professionalism - Treats people with respect; tactfully approaches others, works with integrity, and exhibits sound judgment; Upholds organizational values.
· Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Gives appropriate recognition to others; Inspires respect and trust; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates
· Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed
· Business Acumen & Cost Consciousness - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Aligns work with strategic goals; Works within approved budget; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Regularly required to stand, sit, walk, use hands and arms, talk and hear
· Lift up to 25 pounds. Lift and reach repetitively
· Color vision and depth perception
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. FSNS complies with its reasonable accommodation obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act and state law.
· Potential exposure to odors, fumes, airborne particles, hazardous chemicals, and microbiological pathogens
· Noise level varies from quiet to loud
· Temperature varies from hot to cold
· Interactive and fast-paced team oriented tasks
· Required to wear appropriate protective clothing
· Required to use appropriate protective equipment
· Responsible for the safety of oneself and others working within their area
Employees in this role will be evaluated after 90 calendar days from date of hire and annually thereafter based on the following proficiencies:
All FSNS employees must be proficient in the following:
· Ability to multitask and quickly move from one task to the next
· Ability to complete tasks with accuracy
· General knowledge of all FSNS safety protocols and general OSHA laboratory safety guidelines
· Working knowledge of ISO 17025 Quality procedures general to their primary job and area of responsibility
· Ability to perform laboratory opening and closing procedures
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com