Ben and Jerry's Product Developer - New
: Sep-27-2016, 9:59:00
: United States-Vermont-South Burlington-South Burlington -30
: Day Job
: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Ben & Jerry's Homemade
Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA,
founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists Ben Cohen and Jerry
Greenfield. In 2000 Ben & Jerry’s became a wholly-owned subsidiary of
Unilever whilst maintaining an independent Board of Directors to provide
leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben & Jerry's social
mission, brand integrity, and product quality. Nowadays our products are
distributed in 35 countries in supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience
stores, franchised Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops, restaurants and other
At Ben & Jerry’s we have an inspiring ambition: We aim to pioneer our
‘linked prosperity business model’ to advance the global movement for social
and economic justice while growing our sales. The model is as simple as it is
radical: When the company benefits, all those touched by the company also
benefit, including employees, suppliers, customers, and communities.
Therefore we are expanding rapidly in Europe as well as in new markets in
Asia and Latin America. This translates into a high-paced growth environment
where we bring our grassroots and activist spirit every day. That is how we
remain a true values-led organisation with a
connected 3 part mission, which you will find reflected in your goals and
1) Social mission: to initiate innovative ways to improve the quality of life
locally, nationally and internationally
2) Product mission: to make and distribute the finest quality all natural and
super premium ice-cream and euphoric concoctions
3) Economic mission: to operate the Company on a sustainable financial basis
of profitable growth
Role & Responsibilities – your purpose
This role is in Ben & Jerry’s global product design team which is part of
the broader Refreshment R&D team in North America.
To ensure Ben & Jerry’s has the best ice cream made in the best possible
way, its R&D team plays a key role in delivering renovation, innovation,
value improvement and quality improvement throughout the portfolio of Ben
& Jerry’s super premium, ice-cream products
The candidate will help create new and exciting flavors while helping to
provide materials needed to grow the B&J’s global portfolio. The duties
include, but are not limited to:
• Scoping and development of product ideas, flavours,
designs and formulations
• Preparation and flavour evaluation of laboratory
samples and product prototypes
• Management of product specifications (Interspec/PLM),
declarations (nutrition and legal) and certifications ( i.e. fair trade,
GMO-free, Kosher and Halal)
• Organization R&D factory trials in the GDC/RDC lab, in pilot plants and
in sourcing units to ensure we have successful product launches.
• Regularly, reviewing and reporting project status and updates to project
technical leader and marketing project leader.
• Brainstorm with vendors to discuss new product innovations
• Working with regional R&D teams to prepare and share formulation,
regulatory and quality materials to support new product launches.
• Prepare import documentation, label compliance forms and inter-company
agreements between local sourcing units and the identified importing region.
The role requires the ability to organize and execute 5 or more different
projects across multiple regions in parallel and at a fast pace, while still
managing everyday tasks and duties to support the R&D department.
Skills & Experience
Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build
excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s will be
essential. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the
marketing excellence and operational effectiveness that is built by Unilever
– while preserving the 3 part mission and community of connectivity within
Ben & Jerry’s. Having the right energy and attitude to connect both parts
of our organisation will be critical for success.
The ideal candidate needs to be passionate about food and excited about
identifying new ingredients and new opportunities for differentiating Ben
& Jerry’s in the world of ice cream. The ideal candidate would also have
the ability to combine those ingredients in creative ways that are both novel
and delicious. Prior culinary training would be considered a big plus. Being
a “foodie” is equally important.
Other required skills/experiences – hard skills needed for the role:
• University degree/diploma in food science/technology. BS/BA in Food
Science/Technology/Nutrition or related field
• Candidates are expected to have 3-5 years’ experience in the food industry,
preferably in product formulation. Experience in Ice Cream product
development would be an advantage but not required.
• Consumer orientation: would need to reach out to the B&J’s Brand Team
to get insights and understanding of the B&J’s consumer and their
differences across countries.
• Proven communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work with cross
• Computer proficiency with a focus on data and specification management is
• Creative problem solver. Ability to use Unilever development tools (PLM, Interspec, Innoplan, BLUE etc.)
is a bonus.
• Ability to be proactive in the face of new challenges and changing
Travel requirements It is anticipated that the candidate may be required to
support factory trials in Vermont and possibly additional factories within
the US. Frequency will vary, but usually 6-8 times per year.
Our people profile
To support out 3-part mission, Ben & Jerry’s also has an outspoken
people-mission. We look for people with these characteristics to strengthen
- Purpose-driven: passion and drive to make a real impact with through our
- Empathy: curious to collaborate with a variety of personalities and styles
and to build excellent relationships with internal & external
stakeholders – this includes cross-functional relationships and striving for
- Mastery: continuously learn, grow and develop to contribute to B&Js
- Autonomy: dare to make choices and take ownership
- Activism: interested in bringing about political or social connectivity
Unilever offers a
competitive compensation package which includes: Medical & Dental Plans,
Life Insurance, including eligible spouses, domestic partners & children;
Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, Retirement & Savings Plans,
Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Vacation and Holidays.
Please note: as part of the job application, you will be asked to complete
pre-screening questions. Completion of the pre-screening
questions are mandatory in order to be considered. Please allow yourself
plenty of time to complete both the application and pre-screening questions.
If the pre-screening questions are partially answered or not at all, it will
adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you
will have to complete the pre-screening questions at once as you will be
unable to return to it later.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will
not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran
status, or other protected class in accordance with applicable federal,
state, and local laws. Unilever takes affirmative action in support of its
policy to and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women,
protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Employment is subject to verification of pre-employment drug-screening
results and background investigation.