Foods Specialist – Vernon, CA
times are in Pacific Daylight Time.
Amazon Corporate LLC
At Amazon, we're working to be the most
customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need exceptionally
talented, bright, and driven people.
The Fresh Foods Specialist will be develop and apply practices that promote
quality of one or more of the following fresh food categories: Produce, Deli,
Bakery, Prepared Meals, Meat, Fish and Floral. Quality of these items will be
promoted by development and sound execution of processes around storage,
handling, preparation, inspection and regulatory compliance of these items.
These processes would encompass the entire supply chain of these items, all
the way from vendor to Amazon Fresh network to our customers. Fresh Foods
Specialist should be well versed in Amazon receiving, inventory and shipping
procedures, proper sanitation, temperature control, and removal methods.
Fresh Foods Specialist should also be knowledgeable of Health Department
· Develop processes (SOP) for storage, handling, preparation, inspection and
regulatory compliance of Fresh Foods categories.
· Be a Quality Champion for fresh food items throughout the company. Work
cross-functionally to establish quality standards within the company. Work
with all Amazon Fresh FCs that carry and ship fresh food items, and support
other Amazon businesses also that carry and ship these items.
· Develop training material, training cadence and execute regular training of
FC personnel for effective execution of standards. Utilize the
train-the-trainer and train-the-practitioner approaches.
· Maintain training records, identify needs for additional training and work
with FCs to execute the same
· Develop processes to audit inspection, rating and picking processes, and
work with FCs on appropriate accountability and performance management
measures if processes are not followed.
· Work with FC senior leadership’s assistance to coach and counsel FC area
managers, shift leads and associates for meeting quality goals as measured by
customer concessions and audit results. Utilize Human Resources for advice
regarding organization’s disciplinary policies and procedures
· Mentor, train and develop FC area managers, shift leads and associates for
career progression and growth through the organization
· Understand and work with retail and operations teams on effective
management of supply and quality constraints of different fresh food items
during different seasons (seasonality management) to ensure that right
quality and quantity of inventory is supplied for our customers.
· Lead the identification, development and execution of standards for quality
and regulatory compliance in new international markets.
· Work alongside FC personnel on daily operations as and when need arises to
support any FC on training or other business needs.
· Establish standards for preparation (slicing, trimming, hydrating, baking,
etc.) of fresh foods items
· Ensure strict compliance with food safety standards, keeping work area
clean and organized
· Provide assistance and training to FC employees to solve problems and
resolve escalations resulting from regular inventory quality control checks
· Establish processes for communication and root cause analyses on inventory
adjustments (inventory damage)
· Provide feedback to process owners with root cause analysis, and
participate in Operational Excellence initiatives
· Maintain a complete and thorough understanding of inventory and quality
control, and systems in an automated Fulfillment Center
· Possess excellent skills in evaluation of fresh foods that meet the quality
bar required for customer shipments.
· Possess strong oral and written communication skills, and able to
communicate with managers and associates at all levels
· Possess excellent attention to detail and ability to work with the highest
level of accuracy
· Must be able to work independently, and with many teams within the building
and corporate offices
· Must possess strong problem solving skills and analytical skills
· Must demonstrate a sense of urgency
· Must be able to prioritize tasks effectively
· Must be able to demonstrate integrity and confidentiality
· Must be able to comprehend a lot of information in a short period of time
Machines, Tools, Special Equipment, Personal Protective Equipment Used:
RF Scanner, laptop, carts, wheeled dollies, pallet jacks, knife for slicing
product, weighing and packaging equipment, bins, tubs, box opener,
thermometers, sanitation materials, powered equipment (for example, a
forklift or cherry picker), ovens, dishwashers.
- 2 years of internal Amazon experience, or leadership experience involving fresh
foods quality control in a food production or food distribution
facility, or in food retail management.
- Must possess knowledge of food
handling, processing, quality, storage and inspection of one or more of
the following fresh foods: produce, fresh meats, bakery, deli, seafood
or other processed foods.
- Proficient in basic computer
skills such as Excel, Word, Outlook
- Ability to secure a food
- Requires regular attendance and
- Able to work extra hours as
- Available to work weekends
and/or overnight shifts as an when needed
- Ability to travel up to 75% of
- Ability to meet physical
demands with or without accommodation
· Degree in Agricultural and / or Food Science or related field
· Total 4+ years of leadership experience involving fresh foods quality
control in a food production or food distribution facility, or in food retail
management. Out of this, prefer two years of experience as:
· As a fresh foods quality inspector at a food retailer or distributor.
Experience as a fresh foods quality inspector should be at a distribution
center (and not stores) of a food retailer or distributor, where-in
inspection of quality of fresh Produce based on established product quality
specifications (USDA or retailer defined standards) is performed. OR
· As a Team lead in a food processing facility that assembles food meals,
kits, salads, wraps, or bakes or cooks hot food.
· Possess USDA produce inspection certification through UnitedFresh
or equivalent certification
· Lift and move boxes up to 49 pounds each, and group lift for 50+ pounds
· Engage in full manual dexterity in both hands and wrists
· Work in a chilled and frozen environment
· Regular bending, lifting, stretching and reaching both below the waist and
above the head
· Walking in the FC and around area with great frequency; facilities are over
a quarter mile in length
· Ability to work in construction /distribution environments that may be
noisy, unlit, unheated, not air-conditioned
· Able to access all areas of building (ascending and descending ladders,
stairs, gangways safely and without limitation)
In addition, one of the most important aspects of your job is to lead change
at internet speed……innovation has made us the global company that we are
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority /
Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation