Food Safety Representative - Santa Maria, CA
Food Safety Representative
Santa Maria CA USA
Driscoll’s is the world’s leading producer of fresh berries with operations
in 18 countries on 5 continents. Driscoll's trademark, Only the Finest
Berries®, is the product of years of developing superior berry varieties,
demanding quality standards and a passion for food safety. One of Driscoll’s
highest priorities is to continually build industry leadership in food safety
Driscoll’s is seeking a Food Safety Representative reporting to the Food
Safety District Manager. This position will focus on coordinating efforts in
support of the Driscoll’s Food Safety Team, Growers, Regional Production
Teams, and Cooler personnel to execute Driscoll’s science based Global Food
Safety Program that affords optimal value to the enterprise.
• Minimum Bachelor of Science degree required with an emphasis in
Microbiology, Food Chemistry, Food Science or other Science based discipline.
• 2+ Years’ experience in Agriculture with emphasis on Food Safety, Microbiology,
GAPs, and GMPs preferred.
• Active listener with strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Proven ability to build strong relationships and collaborate within
businesses and external parties.
• Must be a proactive self-starter, able to work independently, and be able
to coordinate and manage multiple projects with little or no direction.
• Highly organized and analytical with a strong attention to detail
coordinating, managing and tracking extensive information
• Computer skills are required; including MS Office Suite for communications,
management of growers, analysis and presentation of results
• Remain current with food safety research and audit schemes.
• Bi-lingual in Spanish and English required.
• California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under
company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required
• Requires moderate travel
1. Coordinate efforts that support the Driscoll’s science based Food Safety
2. Perform key functions related to a grower’s understanding and adoption of
Driscoll’s food safety program and policies.
3. Coordinate and execute science based sampling program (micro and residue).
Pull samples, track, follow up, and support the coordination and execution of
appropriate corrective actions if required. Conduct investigations where
4. Track third party facilities (3PLs) associated with the district and
obtain third party audit certificates.
5. As an advocate of the Driscoll’s science based Food Safety Program communicate
and interact with all levels of personnel both internally and externally to
reinforce the program.
6. Requires experience in food safety audits and the third party audit
process to aid in compliance with third party auditing schemes.
7. Coordinate third party audit schedules, aid in the execution and follow up
of third party audits.
8. Coordinate and conduct mock recalls. Mock recalls will be conducted
annually for all facilities.
9. Coordinate, manage and track internal food safety audit schedules and
executions to ensure implementation of our programs and completion of needed
10. Support efforts related to water resources investigations for production
operations within geographic region.
11. Support efforts related to new site risk assessment investigations
including coordinating scientific evaluations.
12. Assimilates and maintains accurate confidential records and ensures the
security of Driscoll’s proprietary and confidential information and material.
13. Follows Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in
an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees,
government agencies, growers, customers, etc.
14. Travel as needed to other Driscoll’s locations, vendors, suppliers or
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work
performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the
job’s responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad
responsibilities for continually improving.