Describe the broad function and
scope of the position:
The Food Scientist position is focused on Product Development. The
candidate will support Global Gum innovation on a global platform,
including all stages of the product developing lifecycle, from assessing
concept opportunities at bench top/pilot plant scale through
commercialization. Incumbent will take an active role in supporting
development work required to evaluate and design solutions that deliver
global innovation with technical excellence.
The individual should be capable of working collaboratively with
cross-functional teams, applying technical expertise to solve complex
problems, and developing and sharing best practices with the global
technical community. They should be capable of identifying and utilizing
necessary resources to achieve timely delivery of project objectives,
planning and executing work plans with minimal supervision. Personal drive,
organization, the ability to manage ambiguity, problem solving skills, and
excellent communication skills will be keys to success in this role.
1. Develop gum formulations by defining and executing experiments based on
project objectives with minimal supervision. This includes experimental
design and execution of bench top, pilot plant and plant trials at required
facilities. Individual will be responsible for planning out testing
procedures and ordering materials for project in anticipation of needs in
order to address potential obstacles. Travel may be required for project
2. Coordinate formula and informal sensory and analytical testing as necessary
per project with cross functional partners. Design and conduct stability
studies to ensure global product readiness. Anticipate potential problems
and determine next steps in order to address technical issues across
3. Synthesize technical information by collecting data and preparing
reports that will be utilized by cross functional teams to decide proper
steps for implementation. Data should be recorded via specifications and
4. Develop strong cross functional relationships within technology and
externally groups in order to create a strong technical network in order to
understand technical challenges with gum and ingredient interactions.
Awareness of projects/ technical tools to help expedite information transfer
across regional teams.
5. Participate in team meetings and provide timely and thorough updates.
Confirm all work is in compliance with current standards, including safety,
specifications, and documentation.
- Daily communication and interaction with multiple colleagues Global and
- Interaction with other RDQ colleagues as needed to complete job
requirements. Other departments and functions include: Development,
Technology, Processing, Analytical, Consumer Science, Pilot Plant, and approved
vendors for technical support.
- Primary interaction with RDQ colleagues with some interaction with
Procurement, Manufacturing, Commercial, and other functions as needed.
- Some interaction with external contacts such as ingredient and equipment
vendors as needed to complete job requirements.
1 BACHELOR'S DEGREE (4 YR) required
1 MASTER'S DEGREE 0 OTHER (specify) - preferred
Major: __ Food Science/Food Engineering/Chemistry/Chemical Engineering or
EXPERIENCE: This section should outline the areas of functional/technical
expertise and the years of experience in these areas required by the job.
1. Bachelor's Degree - General Work Experience 5
2. Master's Degree - Functional Work Experience 2
COMPETENCIES/ABILITIES: These are key observable/measurable skills,
knowledge and behaviors required that contribute to successful performance
in the position. (e.g., drive for results, customer focus, etc.).
1. Bachelor degree in Food Science, Food Engineering, Chemistry, or
Chemical Engineering with 5 or more years of working experience in product
development or related R&D field or Master's degree in Food Science
with 2 or more years of working experience in product development or
related R&D field.
2. Demonstrated strong ability in executing experiments. Working knowledge
of chemistry and an ability to leverage it to resolve technical issues.
3. Ability to be self-directed, forward thinking, and make decisions that
drive projects. Demonstrates application of knowledge in new or ambiguous
situations to solve problems.
4. Ability to contribute effectively in cross functional team setting and
to build effective relationships with team and customer
5. Excellent oral and written skills. Manages expectations by communicating
what can and can't be done.
6. Organized and able to communicate work status at any point throughout
7. Willing to travel 20% domestically and internationally.