& Development Manager
Oregon Fruit Products is seeking a Research and Development Manager who
thrives in a fast-paced, team environment and has the ability to provide
exceptional service to our company and the customers we serve.
Oregon Fruit Products is the leading processor of canned
specialty fruit for consumers around the world as well as aseptic purees,
ingredients and frozen blends for commercial customers. Family owned and
operated since 1935, we are located in the fertile valley of Salem, Oregon.
We take pride in the high quality and consistent products we provide to the
market place, along with service and integrity not commonly found in
today's business. We are currently in search for a Research and Development
Manager that will help us continue to provide this exceptional service to
our loyal consumers.
The Research and Development Manager is responsible for working strategically
to create new products, new processes, and quality systems in direct
support of our business units including Retail Grocery, Industrial
Ingredients, and Food Service. Relies on experience and judgment to plan
and accomplish goals. Leads and directs the work of others. A wide degree
of creativity and latitude is expected.
• Five to seven years of successful experience in Product Development in
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in Food Science preferred.
• Supervisory experience.
• Must possess a valid driver's license.
• Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) training preferred.
• Exceptional customer service skills and ability to work independently.
• Must possess excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced team environment.
• Must be detail-oriented and set high standards for accuracy.
• Must have demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Strong interpersonal, organizational, analytical, decision-making, and
problem-solving skills required.
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of all employee and company
1. Core member of senior management team, directly responsible for growth
strategy and innovation.
2. Uses technical knowledge and expertise to develop products and processes
that support the company's strategic market objectives.
3. Researches, identifies and directs the development of new technologies
4. Researches, identifies and qualifies potential suppliers of key
ingredients and packaging for new products.
5. Leads the inception, development and commercialization phases of new
products for all business units.
6. Supervises professional staff in R&D functions.
7. Works collaboratively in a team environment with Sales, Marketing,
Finance and Production in a spirit of cooperation.
8. Product and/or menu development in the food or beverage industry.
1. Displays excellent communication skills including presentation,
persuasion, and negotiation skills required in working with customers and
coworkers and including the ability to communicate effectively and remain
calm and courteous under pressure.
2. Design, conduct, and analyze bench-top experiments related to new
product development, process improvement and technical support.
3. Work with financial analysis and the development team to estimate costs
of raw materials, ingredients and packaging throughout the development
4. Lead the commercialization phase of the new product development process
until passed to manufacturing.
5. May supervise both temporary and regular employees in the execution of
6. Technical sales support for all business units, domestic and export.
7. Project management for special technical issues.
8. Technical documentation development.
9. Member of the HACCP team.
position includes a competitive salary and benefits, including:
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) contributions
• Holiday/Vacation/Sick Pay
• Incentive Plan
Oregon Fruit Products is an EEO employer. For more information about us,
please visit our website.
For consideration, please apply online at the website below with your
resume, list of potential references and a cover letter with relevant
experience and salary requirements by September 15.