Chef or Food Scientist / Manager, Product Development and Innovation #3394 - Atlanta, GA
Arbys Restaurant Group, Inc.
R&D Chef or Food Scientist / Manager, Product Development
ARBY'S RESTAURANT GROUP
1155 PERIMETER CENTER WEST, Atlanta, GA 30338
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: Lead the research and development for
key new and or existing menu items, products and processes, to support the
goals of the brand from a culinary or food science discipline. Primary
focus/objective is to support key core brand initiatives from a product
development perspective to continue to make Arby's the destination choice for
craveable fast crafted food that delivers on
company financial goals.
1. Develop strategic new products and carry through process from inception
2. Function in the capacity of product based project leader for product
development programs from ideation / inception through introduction and full
roll-out. Create Gold standard products
3. Develop and refine specifications for new and/or improved products;
develop processing parameters at processor level, identify and establish
quantifiable objective product standards.
4. Generate a multitude of innovative product ideas
5. Responsible for resolution of technical issues that arise during the
development of new and/or improved products, be they
production, operational, or performance based.
6. Work closely with Ops. Services group, Q.A., Technical Services, ARCOP and
Brand Marketing in communication of technical information, related to new
product test programs.
7. Initiate financial/profitability impact of new or improved test items as
it relates to system profitability for Limited Time Offers and/or full system
implementation. Work closely with suppliers, ARCOP, and Marketing in
Required Minimum: Culinary Degree or Bachelors
Preferred: Bachelor's or Masters degree in Food
Science, Food Technology, or related field.
Required Minimum: A minimum of 10 years of lead product development work in
the food industry.
Preferred: Strong Background in concept, product and gold standard food
development for a National Chain.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS or ABILITIES:
1. Basic computer skills: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
2. Basic knowledge of food production and processing at plant level; thorough
knowledge of food safety standards, HAACP, and Serve Safe Certification;
basic culinary knowledge related to equipment and technical skills.
3. Must have thorough knowledge of food products, recipe & procedural
writing, costs, and manufacturing, plus an understanding of restaurant
equipment and services.
4. Requires a thorough understanding of management principles, especially of
time management, business strategy, and setting priorities.
5. Must have knowledge of trends, consumer insights, and competitive
6. Requires independent analytical and creative effort regarding proper
procedures, planning of work, and follow-up.
7. Requires adaptability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while
addressing aggressive timetables for completion.
8. Must have excellent communication skills.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY: Employee will have the authority to
make the following decisions, while remaining within the guidelines of the PD
process, OSM standards, and Safety First guidelines.
* Food quality decision authority
* Authority to determine appropriate food vendor/supplier to use
* Authority to speak & act on behalf of Product Development &
Innovation on related subjects