Technologist – Dalton, OH
OH, US, 44618
Requisition Number: 89630
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to
being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy.
And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity
to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you
and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting
work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have
the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same
time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it
yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more
enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single
project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s
within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s
about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because
the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that
mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to
work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
Mars has net sales of more than $33 billion, operates six
business segments including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks,
Symbioscience, and more than 75,000 Associates worldwide that are putting
its Principles into action to make a difference for people and the planet
through its performance.
Mars brands include: Petcare – PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®,
WHISKAS®, BANFIELD® Pet Hospital, CESAR®, SHEBA®, DREAMIES® and NUTRO®;
Chocolate – M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and
TWIX®; Wrigley – DOUBLEMINT®, EXTRA®, ORBIT® and 5™ chewing gums,
SKITTLES® and STARBURST® candies, and ALTOIDS® AND LIFESAVERS® mints. Food
– UNCLE BEN’S®, DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS®, SEEDS OF CHANGE® and
ROYCO®; Drinks – ALTERRA COFFEE ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA COMPANY™, KLIX®
and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience – COCOAVIA® and WISDOM PANEL®.
Position Title: Research & Development
Reports To: Quality & Product
Petcare - Horsecare
Level of Role
Number of Reports
Purpose of Role
The R&D Technician has the responsibility for being a leader within
the R&D team. The role is focused around primarily day to day
maintenance of formulations, Q&FS (HRCI and MQM) initiatives,
innovation and brand building along with marketing and sales
support. This position will be an active contributor in generating
ideas and opportunities to support product innovation and brand
development of Mars Horsecare US products.
• Expert knowledge in equine nutrition and feed formulation.
• Maintain current formula database system and verify new formula
accuracy prior to implementation.
• Remain current on matters relating to production methods,
formulations, analytical techniques and federal regulations as they
relate to the company’s products.
• Facilitate site based quality systems to assess compliance to
published product specifications.
• Support the innovation team by helping to champion the new product
development process (NPD), including new products and other innovative
• Help drive all Q&FS training and auditing initiatives both
internally (DAL) and externally with sales associates.
• Assist in facilitating site document and record control and CAPA
• Provide formulations/nutritional information as needed by the business.
• Work to provide technical/nutritional information to premium
commercial customers, including answering direct inquiries and
coordinating coverage for phones as needed.
• Be the field expert that is accessible to solve sales questions,
problems, and technical advice to premium commercial customers.
• To maintain technical knowledge through attendance at major equine
conferences, reviewing latest scientific literature and through liaison
with Mars Horsecare UK Director of Science and Mars Horsecare UK Equine
• Perform and complete all special projects as needed in a timely
manner, reporting all data and observations.
• To operate within the company values of Mars Inc. as documented in
the booklet “The Five Principles of Mars”
Key Supporting Competencies
• Business Acumen
• Decision quality
• Functional and Technical Skills
• Create collaborative relationships
• Problem solving
• Organizational Agility
• Priority Setting
• Drive for Results
• A bachelor’s degree in equine science or related subject is
essential, with a master’s degree in Equine Nutrition preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years experience in equine nutrition.
• The job requires the holder to have a strong understanding of commercial
formulation and animal sciences. The ideal candidate would have a
very high level of equine knowledge and practical understanding of the
equine world and equine nutrition as well as a good level of selling and
commercial skills. The ability to build strong working
relationships within the business, with relevant contacts and key
influencers is also crucial.
• A strong interest and understanding of feed formulation practices
and software as well as feed manufacturing processes.
• Experience with technical data related to feed formulas and an
ability to manage, present and discuss data with confidence is
• The role requires an ability to identify equine or nutritional
issues and be able to recommend effective nutritional solutions through advice
and/or products to resolve them.
• Proven strong interpersonal, written and oral communication
skills, influencing skills, organizational skills and computer literacy
are also required.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team is essential
given the broad nature of the role. Industry experience in a similar role
or extension experience preferred.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected
veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need
assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of
a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to
provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result
of such a request.
Nearest Secondary Market: Akron
Job Segment: CAPA, Database, Sales
Support, Management, Technology, Sales