The comprehensive food
safety information website
R&D Process Technologist –
Start apply with LinkedIn
Location: Columbus, OH, US, 43004
Date: Feb 17, 2017
Requisition Number: 92694
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
Mars has net sales of more than $33 billion, operates six business segments including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks, Symbioscience, and more than 75,000 Associates worldwide that are putting its Principles into action to make a difference for people and the planet through its performance.
Mars brands include: Petcare – PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, BANFIELD® Pet Hospital, CESAR®, SHEBA®, DREAMIES® and NUTRO®; Chocolate – M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX®; Wrigley – DOUBLEMINT®, EXTRA®, ORBIT® and 5™ chewing gums, SKITTLES® and STARBURST® candies, and ALTOIDS® AND LIFESAVERS® mints. Food – UNCLE BEN’S®, DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS®, SEEDS OF CHANGE® and ROYCO®; Drinks – ALTERRA COFFEE ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA COMPANY™, KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience – COCOAVIA® and WISDOM PANEL®.
Position Title: Process Technologist
Reports To: Site R&D Manager
Segment: Mars Petcare
Family: Product and Pack Design
Location: Columbus, OH
Level of Role
Number of Reports
0 direct, 0 indirect
Purpose of Role
This position will be the main support for all R&D activities within their respective site(s) including but not limited to the trials and start-ups of new products, packaging, processes and raw materials.
This position will lead development activities for basic new product development projects that do not include major new ingredient streams and new technologies. In addition this position will also implement sustainable process improvement initiatives & COGS through the use of root cause and statistical analysis tools and will be the product/process representative in site HACCP and Risk Assessments at their respective site. This role requires ability to use and apply extensive knowledge of Quality & Engineering disciplines including Statistical Process Control, to execute activities aligned with the overall BDB R&D strategy. Significant collaboration is expected with Quality, Supply and Engineering including CVS support.
• Manage the effective execution of line trials, qualifications and process capability evaluations.
• Execute test plans and use SPC data analysis to quantify key process and packaging machine parameters and fundamental mechanisms at both pilot and factory scale.
• Deliver scalable operating specifications collaboratively developed with Product Development and Process development to achieve exceptional product attribute targets and ensure superior product quality and food safety.
• Provide SPC support to Supply, Quality, Process Development & Product Development on existing processes.
• Apply Lean Thinking principles and Value Added Engineering.
• Work as part of the R&D team to assist in the scale-up risk and introduction of technology into supply chain.
• Pursue process improvement opportunities as agreed upon and prioritized by the Site R&D Manager & COGS Team, across the factory network focused on reducing waste, downtime and/or energy usage and/or increasing production rates.
• Development of process, product and packaging optimization programs
• Project coordination and management (time, funding and resources)
• Understand and follow safety process and protocol
• Innovation engineering development of new science and technology
Key Supporting Competencies
• Action Orientated
• Drive for Results
• Functional/Technical Skills
Critical Functional Competencies
• Knowledge Sharing
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
• Strong working knowledge of food science, food manufacturing processes, quality assurance principles, statistics and SPC
• Experience in Root Cause Analysis methods with strong problem solving skills
• Ability to learn new skills and ways of working
• Project management, time management and interpersonal skills
• Proficient in current computer programs and database
• Demonstrates ability to prioritize activities in order to meet business critical time lines.
• Ability to use Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and understand basic engineering drawings (e.g. AutoCAD)
• Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Chemical, or Food Process Engineering or related discipline. No previous related work experience required
• Ability to travel 20% of the time
• Multi-site working experience
• Proven creative, value-added, results producer
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Major Market: Columbus
Nearest Secondary Market: Dublin
Job Segment: Engineer, Statistics, Database, Quality Assurance, Business Process, Engineering, Data, Technology, Management
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org