The comprehensive food
safety information website
Food Scientist – Schwan’s - Deer Park, TX
Schwan’s is looking for a Food Scientist to join our Product Innovation & Development team in our manufacturing facility in Houston, Texas. (Deer Park plant). Our Houston plants produce primarily Asian food and snacks. This individual will lead small to medium product development projects, develop formulas, processing procedures and specifications for new products, product enhancements and cost reductions.
· Uses science to study the principles underlying the processing and deterioration of foods; analyze food content; discover new food sources; research ways to make processed foods safe, palatable, and healthful; and apply food science knowledge to determine best ways to process, package, preserve, store, and distribute food.
· Develops experimental formulas, processing procedures and specifications for raw ingredients, subassemblies and finished products for simple new products, product improvements, and cost reductions, meeting pricing, marketing, regulations and operational goals.
· Organizes and manages moderately complex test runs to validate or modify formulas and processing procedures to develop final specifications for the production and reproducibility of finished products.
· Works with team members to ensure successful start-ups of new products, product improvements, cost reductions, and ingredient formula specification or process changes.
· Evaluates ingredients and processing techniques to identify and commercialize simple product improvement and cost reduction opportunities.
· Evaluates, confirms acceptability, creates/updates specifications and implements proposed ingredients or process for Supplier Optimization.
· Provides technical solutions to production issues as it relates to ingredient, formulas, processing procedures, and specifications to ensure continuous production and maintain product quality and safety.
· Documents project status, progress issues, solutions timeline, and accountability according to established procedures and guidelines, providing timely and effective oral and written communication and reports.
· Supports innovation in the development of new ideas, products, or product platforms through ideation sessions and bench-top experimentation.
Education & Experience Required: A Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science, Bakery Science or related field, and 3-5 years experience in an R&D position, OR a Master’s Degree in Food Science or related field. 2+ years experience within a manufacturing based Product Development role preferred.
· Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and effectively communicate with peers, other Manufacturing employees and senior leadership;
· Comfortable with taking initiative and driving for results in an industrial environment
· Keen attention to detail and process
· Strong PC skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel, Word & PowerPoint
· Ability to taste and ingest any type of food product currently under development
· Intermediate understanding of food ingredients, food chemistry, food processing, and food functionality
· Ability to comprehend complex technical articles, research papers, or presentations, and apply technical knowledge learned
· Must be adaptable to change
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and offer solutions
· Prior experience in Product Development, particularly within a plant manufacturing environment, preferred.Any experience with Asian products, sauces, tortillas, snacks etc a plus.
The employing subsidiaries of The Schwan Food Company are Equal Employment Opportunity Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, age, race, color, religion, gender, vet stat
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com