The comprehensive food
safety information website
Technologist - (170000C0) - Placentia, CA
The Technologist position is part of the Research and Development team for the Healthy Fruit business of SunOpta. This role will be supporting growth initiatives through innovation, pursuing feasibility of converting productivity ideas, defending existing business through maintenance of existing products and customer support, and contributing to the continued development and optimization of product development programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develop innovative products to support business growth. New products would vary from customized fruit blend creation or value added solutions (such as smoothie mixes, bakery toppings and mix-ins), in response to customer requests or internal efforts to pursue category growth and discover white space opportunities. Innovation would also include new packaging options as well as exploring new technologies.
· New product development would require formulation, bench top trials through full commercialization.
· Interface with cross-functional partners in commercializing new products.
· Provide technical input and system support to prepare new items for scale-up.
· Support plant trials for new items, adapting formulas and processes as necessary for successful production.
· Establish product specifications and nutritional data for new products. Manage revisions on these documents for current products as needed. Complete technical submissions in customer specific web based systems for new product set-up or revisions on existing items.
· Coordinate and track sample requests through collaboration with manufacturing locations.
· Assist in assessing new or alternate quality and cost effective ingredients.
· Develop specifications on new raw materials and collaborate on revision review and implementation.
· Assist in Ops productivity efforts, providing technical input and support as it relates to product quality.
· Respond to technical inquiries from external customers in a timely manner.
· Effectively communicate and provide ongoing technical support to cross-functional teams (QA, Sales, Finance, Procurement, Ops)
· Develop and lead sensory evaluation studies on new products.
· Develop and conduct shelf life studies for new or existing items.
· Report findings and recommendations to manager and follow through on necessary specification changes.
· Collaborate with broader R&D team to exchange learnings, for assistance and peer development.
· Keep informed of new technologies, ingredients, products and processes.
· All other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor's degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology, or related field.
· Minimum of 2 years of industry experience in product development. Relevant experience with fruit products and manufacturing environment experience preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
· Candidate must possess a general understanding of the product development process and food safety requirements and regulations.
· Must have outstanding verbal, written, multi-tasking and organizational skills.
· Adaptable to changing priorities and organizational shifts.
· Must be proficient in MS Word and MS Excel software.
· Knowledge of Genesis Nutritional program systems a plus.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
· Approximately; 85% of work is performed in an office/lab environment. 5% of work may involve being in the agricultural or manufacturing environment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
An Equal Opportunity Employer
: US-CA-Placentia Office
701 W. Kimberly Ave. Suite 210
: Research & Development
: Day Job
: May 5, 2017, 12:48:56 PM
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com