The comprehensive food
safety information website
Quality Specialist - Oak Forest, IL
NATURE AND SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Quality Specialist is a member of the facility Quality Assurance Department, and gets functional direction from the Quality Assurance Manager. This position interacts with Legendary Baking bakery management and crewmembers to help verify food quality and food safety. This position has duties which include specification writing, data analysis, report writing, process improvement and formal communication with internal and external suppliers. This position also provides training relating to food quality and food safety.
A full-time position (salaried / exempt)
Support to bakery operations
Support to Headquarters Quality Assurance and Research & Development
1. Develop and update internal specifications for all WIP’s (work-in-progress) and finished products. Analyze statistical data gathered by bakery personnel and SAP work orders to determine present standard and establish food quality, food safety and testing standards.
2. Decides whether a product meets quality and food safety standards. Take steps to identify, isolate and report poor quality or potentially unsafe food materials (product holds). Work with bakery management to safely evaluate and determine disposition all such materials.
3. Develop and update internal specifications for all ingredients utilizing current supplier specifications, FDA/USDA standards and industry standards.
4. Develop and update visual standards for all WIP’s (work-in-progress) and finished products to customer’s specification.
5. Assist operations with creating, updating and maintaining Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOPs) and perform the annual cleaning/allergen verification and validation.
6. Keep bakery management team informed of any changes in formulas or product specifications to meet customer’s requests.
7. Audit external supplier facilities for food safety, food quality and ingredient specification compliance.
8. Ensure Certificate of Analysis’ are in compliance with current supplier specifications. If a problem arises with a COA or ingredient, contact the supplier and keep QA Manager informed of the issues status.
9. Verify food quality and food safety through grading forms, auditing and reporting. This includes SQF, HACCP, GMP and daily forms. Consult and advise bakery management on any issues. Work with the team to find solutions to problems.
10. Responsible for the knowledge, understanding, and enforcement of all company policies and regulations. Works to ensure Legendary Baking’s Vision, Values and Culture is understood and followed by all employees starting with her/his behavior of leading by example.
11. Responsible for monitoring food safety, food quality and security daily including SQF and QCCPs. Communicate/report any violations of food security or suspicious activity to direct manager. Escalates issues to QA and upper management as appropriate.
12. Expedite quality assurance tasks by providing help in support of specific projects.
13. Provide training to bakery employees as necessary to verify product quality and compliance with specifications.
14. Inspect Legendary Baking ingredients, packaging materials, work-in-process (WIP), and finished products for compliance with specifications. Work with bakery management to find and test solutions to problems.
15. Conduct studies to identify problems, potential problems or continuous improvement opportunities relating to food quality and food safety. Utilize data collection, trend information and analysis to drive continuous improvement.
16. Maintain and update QA and HACCP records, as directed.
17. Maintain ongoing food safety and quality assurance programs or other duties, as assigned.
18. Audit processes and procedures to ensure food quality and food safety. Verify compliance with Legendary Baking specifications, customer requirements and regulatory requirements.
19. Provide support, direction, coaching and guidance to QA Technicians.
In absence of a Quality Specialist, responsibilities of the Quality Specialist will be assumed by the Quality Assurance Manager or Quality Assurance Director.
In absence of a QA Manager, the Quality Specialist would assist with QA Manager duties and responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS ( PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS ):
1. Position must be able to:
• Work in -10 to 100 °F environments for short periods of time
• Handle hot and cold materials and equipment
• Reach above shoulder and below knee level
• Submerge hands in hot water and cleaners
2. Sit 40% Walk 30% Stand 20% Stoop/Bend 10%
3. Communicate – verbal and written with good listening skills
4. Reading, writing skills in addition to advanced mathematical and reasoning skills to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
5. Evaluate food using sensory skills (appearance, flavor, aroma, consistency)
6. Occasionally lifts or moves weights up to 25 pounds
Four year degree in Food Science or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be able to successfully complete and successful completion of certificate in SQF and QCCPs. Must be computer literate, including word processing and spreadsheet applications. Must be able to work independently, at a fast pace, follow and give directions and make decisions. Must have the ability to interact positively with all employees.
We are an equal opportunity / e-verify employer.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org