Manager, Food Safety Compliance - (17002997) –
Big Lots, Inc.
Responsible for day to day operations of Big Lots’
food safety and compliance program, including overseeing food recalls and
related reporting, leading investigations of food safety allegations, and
recommending private label product quality/testing specifications.
Responsible to coordinate and oversee day to day compliance with global
safety and quality programs such as Big Lots food safety verification
plans under the FSMA, state departments of agriculture, and Big Lots’
stop sale and recall process to ensure one consistent process for Big
Lots. Also responsible for helping to develop strategies to trend, track,
analyze and report potentially hazardous products, based on from customer
reports and returns data, to determine appropriate corrective actions and
ensure that the best food products in terms of safety and compliance are
sold at all Big Lots’ stores.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (include
but are not limited to the following):
1. Drive the food safety culture within Big Lots.
2. Serve as point person for quality assurance and
foodborne illness response.
3. Build internal capacity around private label and
direct import food safety.
4. Own implementation of FSVP program in conjunction
with third-party vendor.
5. Support supply chain selection and monitoring
6. Manage the internal and external audit and
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Highly advanced technical aptitude. Knowledge in
key business areas of food safety with a thorough understanding of risk
principles and test methodologies.
2. Ability to analyze, disaggregate information in a
structured way, identify core issues, and synthesize options moving
forward to resolution. Also, the ability to predict future issues and
3. Ability to communicate technical information
effectively within all levels of the organization. Ability to
remain calm and focused during crisis situations.
4. Ability to balance and prioritize workload for a
portfolio of projects and ability to educate and assist less experienced
5. Ability to apply technical expertise to benefit
the larger organization. Ability to influence and drive positive results.
6. BS in Environmental or Public Health, Food
Science, Food Safety, Biology, Microbiology or related technical,
culinary or engineering discipline.
7. Multiunit/chain restaurant, retail or
manufacturing experience in leading and facilitating food safety and
quality operations (minimum of 5 - 7 years).
8. Applied knowledge of HACCP, SSOPs, GMPs, FDA and
all other applicable State and Local health and food safety codes
9. Experience managing product recalls, foodborne
illness situations, and interface with regulatory authorities (health
departments, FDA, USDA, and CDC).
10. Basic knowledge of food microbiology.
11. Other food industry experience desirable; e.g.
manufacturing, distribution, retail
12. Previous management and training experience
: May 18, 2017,