The R&D Specialist is responsible for
product development from idealization to commercialization, resulting in
the launch of new food items and / or maintenance of existing food products
in the portfolio. The product category scope of this position includes baked
cookies and crackers, frozen breads and doughs, RRTE and RTE pies and
cakes, etc. Responsibilities also include plant trials, customer
presentations, maintaining the R&D lab and equipment, and interacting
with the plant for daily manufacturing needs.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage projects according to
needs specified. Act as R&D representative within each Project
Development Request (PDR) team and ensure project follow up with the
R&D project management tools.
- Develop formulations and
processes while taking into account requirements of other functions
such as Science/Claims, Regulatory and Quality.
- Design pilot trials, organize
tasting sessions with Sales, Marketing and Operations; draw
conclusions and recommendations for next steps.
- Possess strong business acumen
to appropriately scope the technical development for each project.
- Lead and collaborate with
cross-functional team members in various departments including
Marketing, Sales, Finance, Operations, Quality, Procurement, and Regulatory.
- Participate in consumer test
design, organize sample production and ensure product quality follow
- Realize scale up /
industrialization with Engineering and Manufacturing departments.
- Collaborate with suppliers to
obtain best results for product development (brief suppliers and
follow up on their progress).
- Participate as an R&D
representative for product launch/start up by preparing all
specifications related to product line (except packaging and fruits)
and ensure that all documentation needed is available prior to start
- Propose and implement
productivity projects for the organizationís product lines.
- There will be travel involved
as some of the work will be done at other J&J sites or the
- Responsible for food safety and
- Perform other tasks necessary.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Undergraduate Degree in Food
Science, Engineering, Culinary Arts, or other closely related field of
study from an accredited institution.
- 3 or more yearsí experience in
R&D within the food industry, either at the manufacturing facility
or corporate HW.
- Demonstrated success working
with a wide variety of customers (e.g. Retail, Food Service, National
and Industrial Account Clients, etc.).
- Demonstrated success in project
management, monitoring, follow-up and closure
- Practical laboratory skills
gained within degree studies are essential.
- Basic understanding of
- Advanced mathematics knowledge
and computer literacy
- General understanding of food
processing (formulation, cooking, freezing, portioning, packaging,
- Good communication skills are
essential. Can resolve conflict and provide constructive feedback.
- Problem-solving skills combined
with analytical skills and good attention to detail.
- Enthusiasm and self-motivation
to function independently, as well as within a team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of
culinary arts and snacking trends.
- Strong proactive customer
- Excellent written and verbal
- Advanced interpersonal
- Demonstrated sound work ethic,
honesty and moral character.
- Must be able to walk, sit,
stand, stoop, climb, and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work for
extended periods in a hot, fast-paced food manufacturing environment.
Job Type: Full-time
- R&D food industry: 3 years