The comprehensive food
safety information website
Director of Product Development, Consumables – Phoenix, AZ
Job Location Phoenix, AZJob ID MR-17-5503
This position is responsible for developing and overseeing propriety pet food products to drive customer loyalty, increase profitability, and address the merchandising assortment needs. This position oversees a team of product development professional that are responsible for formulation and supplier base for PetSmart’s proprietary food brands from concept to final delivery based on consumer trends and new to market concepts. As a leader of the team, this role will develop and mentor associates to build organizational bench strength, as well as recognize and cultivate talent.
The Director of Product Development, Consumables will report to the Vice President, Product Development/Branding Consumables. Directly supervises a team of 5+ associates.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
· Manages and oversees all product development projects, and monitoring progress throughout the product development life cycle, identifying risks and opportunities. Provides training and assistance to aid Product Managers in accomplishing their objectives.
· Directs a high performing, customer centric team. Selects, coaches, motivates, conducts performance evaluations, and identifies development and growth opportunities. Develops associates through coaching, mentoring, performance management, talent management and succession planning.
· Develops work goals and objectives for the department in accordance and alignment with company goals; provides leadership, measures and feedback, and motivation for staff achievement of departmental goals.
· Oversees product costing for each new intro and develops strategies to meet/exceed margin requirements.
· Prioritizes all projects while considering the overall needs of the organization and ensuring optimum utilization of available resources for timely development and introduction.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
· Oversee full production start-up for product launches and partner with QA for on-going manufacturing and compliance product needs.
· Oversee and approve formulation changes and specifications for key proprietary ingredients.
· Approve draft specifications with product attributes and tolerances defined during the final product development stages.
· Manage all consumable proprietary brands to meet or exceed AAFCO requirements
· Directs all ongoing studies to ensure products meet or exceed expectations to validate palatability and digestibility
· Oversee developmental specifications including formulation during initial Product Development
· Oversee initial Research & Development Test Runs
· Oversee a claims library for all products and consumable brands.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor's degree in Food Science, Engineering or a related degree such as Food Manufacturing or Food Microbiology.
· Requires proficiency typically obtained with 8+ years’ experience including 2+ years demonstrated leadership in retail product sourcing, development, merchandising and/or buying.
· Possess the ability to connect with the merchandising organization and be able to convert opportunities into practical business strategies.
· Must have integrity and be dedicated to the principles of developing a strong collaborative team-based organization.
· Superior financial and business acumen is essential and a highly credible management presence is necessary.
· Demonstrated ability to lead an organization through growth or transitions without losing momentum or focus on key business drivers.
· Position requires some travel (up to 25%).
IF YOU CANNOT UPLOAD YOUR PDF, PLEASE COPY/PASTE INTO TEXT BOX. THANK YOU!
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com