Development Professional - Northbrook, IL (42601)
Id 42601 - Posted 06/19/2017 - Research,
Development and Quality - Research & Development - United
States - Northbrook, IL
America Inc is seeking its next Product
Development Professional to be based out of our North American HQ in
Northbrook, IL. Reporting to our Product Development Manager, this is
an individual contributor role with no direct reports although this person
will manage relationships and collaborate with co-packer teams and raw
Purpose: To contribute to the development process of
new products from their conception through to
pre- industrialisation stage and to contribute to
the development of the Barilla America’s product categories, both existing
and new, by interacting with the Research, Development & Quality
management, by ensuring that the development of new products is in line with
the existing targets of quality, time-scale and costs.
- Develop and/or improve recipes and products in
line with the Authenticity guidelines and by evaluating consumer
preferences leveraging sensory and mru tools
- Leverage consumer insights and transform them into
- Provide technical direction and expertise by
leveraging the latest developments and technology.
- Develop bench top prototypes that are feasible to
scale up and run trials on industrial lines.
- Manage industrial trial/production at copackers.
- Provide innovative, timely and cost-effective
- Define and develop product specifications.
- Communicate and coordinate with various functions
both at Barilla America and Italy (i.e., Marketing, Brand Development
& Innovation, Global Research, Development & Quality,Purchasing, Packaging) to ensure
project timeline adherence.
- Effectively work on cross-functional teams and be
able to clearly express technical perspective to achieve team goals.
- Leverage Barilla nutrition team to guide product
development and support Barilla nutritional positioning.
- Manage product evaluations cross functionally as
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or
Engineering or related field; MS or Ph.D. preferred
5+ years of experience working in Food
In-depth understanding of product
Good understanding of the common food
process (thermal treatments, food machineries, etc)
Experience in process improvement
Background/knowledge in Quality preferred
Able to set priorities and multi-task
Demonstrated results orientation;
Strong leadership and problem-solving
Strong communication and interpersonal
Experience in managing people preferred
Experience in managing budgets preferred
Ability to travel up to 25% domestically
and potentially internationally