Food Technologist I, Breakthrough
Innovation (13463) – Buffalo, NY
Req Id 13463 - Posted 07/17/2017 - Buffalo
- WHQ, NY (LOC_USA_BUF_WHQ) - United States - Research
& Development Jobs - Permanent
Rich’s has been able to
pull off something rare in the business world: a culture that successfully
blends the latest business practices with family values. That means
our associates are able to work for a great
company while also benefiting from a work environment that fosters world
class professionalism combined with family intimacy. Our benefit
offerings are reflective of this unique blend of Life, Work and Family .
In this role, you
will work closely with the Break Through Innovation Marketing team to
develop and commercialize new product and process breakthrough innovations
in the Bakery, Pizza and Dessert Categories.
New Product &
Process Development (60%)
- Participates in ideation
sessions with marketing and others to develop innovation concepts.
- Prepares prototype products
using research lab, pilot lab, manufacturing facilities and equipment,
- Administers and coordinates
assignments, small projects or segments of larger projects, assisting
in defining project objectives, organizing and prioritizing tasks and
conducting necessary experiments and analyses.
- Interfaces frequently with
various internal departments (e.g. Marketing, Procurement,
Engineering, QA and Operations) and customers in accomplishing project
- Selects and evaluates raw
materials for experiments
- Sets-up, operates and maintains
pilot lab and research lab equipment.
- Designs and conducts basic
shelf life and storage studies, including product and package
performance evaluations under various conditions.
- Demonstrates breakthrough
innovation products to staff and/or customers.
- Performs basic measurements and
- Presents results of basic
experiments and recommendations to various groups, both internally and
- Orders materials for producing
and evaluating basic prototypes
- Develops solutions to routine technical
problems by applying basic technical knowledge and experience.
- Maintains accurate, up to date
records, laboratory notebooks and computer database
- Prepare and document all plant
validation trials according to department protocol.
- Ensures the work environment is
sanitary, safe, and orderly.
- Maintains a sanitary, safe and
orderly work environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical
Engineering or MS in Food Science
- 1+ years of product formulation
and process development experience, preferably in a bakery or
- Broad understanding of food
science (ingredient functionality, shelf life, nutrition, etc.)
- General understanding of
process technologies and process parameters in the lab and in the
plant. (mix methods/times, baking
temps/times, rework methods, etc.
- Ability to quickly learn and
apply the scientific method, principles,
on new formula and processing technologies.
- Solid verbal and written
- Demonstrated ability to work in
a fast paced environment
- Ability to compare and
distinguish differences in ingredients, materials, etc. through taste,
smell, touch and visual inspection
- Manual dexterity required to
operate various equipment such as scales, balances, etc.
- Solid PC proficiency (Excel,
Word, database, statistical software) and the ability to create
spreadsheets, computer analysis, report writing. Proficient with
relevant software tools (e.g. PLM, etc.)
- Ability to use database,
presentation and project management software
- Experienced in the development
of innovative concepts through commercialization
- Comfortable with creating
clarity from abstract ambiguity in terms of developing unique
executions against general innovation concepts.
- Hands on ability to create
innovative prototypes, for customer and consumer testing.
- Equally adept at doing formulation
work in the lab and process scale up work in the plant, using existing
or new processes
- Product development experience
in the bakery or closely related area. Additional experience in
other food categories is a plus
- Effective in cross functional
- Comfortable working rapidly on
multiple projects simultaneously, with shifting priorities, associated
with the front end of innovation.
- Effective at leveraging both
internal and external resources, for innovation
ideation, formulation and processing.
- Must be a quick learning with regard to understanding new technologies,
concepts and trends.
- Must be able to connect the
dots, to link technology with consumer insights to create breakthrough
innovation with insulation from competition.
- Must have a true passion for
- Travels up to 20% of time
Corporation provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees
and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law
requirements, Rich Products Corporation complies with applicable state and
local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in
which the company has facilities.