Sr. Mgr. Food
Safety & Compliance - Seattle, WA
Job ID: 938600 |
Amazon.com Services, Inc.
At Amazon.com, we're
working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we
need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. If you'd like to help
us build the place to find and buy anything online, this is your chance to
We are looking for a Sr. Manager - Food Safety and Compliance to join our
Our vision for Food Safety is to support Amazon’s mission of offering the
widest selection of products available, while protecting customers from
potentially hazardous products. We are looking for a senior level, dynamic,
organized self-starter to join our Food Safety team, focusing on Retail Food
Safety programs supporting Amazon Go, Amazon Fresh, Prime Now, and all retail
food businesses within Amazon. The position will be located in Seattle. This
is an exciting opportunity to work in a highly visible space and be part of a
vibrant and fast-growing company!
Needed Skills and Abilities:
• Strategic Leader: Ability to develop food safety and quality strategy for
new business concepts and integrate food safety requirements into the
operation at the concept phase, and drive requirements to implementation.
Ability to conceptualize resource needs to support current business models
and new/emerging business models to ensure teams are adequately structured to
ensure programs mitigate risks.
Influencer: Innovative leader with the ability to identify opportunities,
influence business teams and operations to gain support for food safety, and
overcome resistance by creating strong, persuasive, balanced positions
through the use of data.
• Leader: Significant experience collaborating with and influencing
cross-functional teams. Track record of consistently leading, strategically
developing, and implementing food safety programs within the business.
• Doer: No job is too trivial. Compliance leaders dive deep and have
exceptional attention to detail. Must have the ability to successfully visualize
and drive end-to-end process requirements, program implementation, and
continuous improvement, working through the many obstacles along the way.
• Communicator: Ability to communicate food safety and quality expectations
and requirements with business leaders and all cross-functional support teams
at all levels of the organization. Must have the ability to write
well-reasoned and data-driven white papers, leveraging science, research,
industry benchmarking and trends where necessary.
• Problem Solver: Exceptional problem-solving skills required. Crisis events
require quick, high-judgment decisions, and the ability to direct teams to
work through difficult challenges.
As a high-level summary the deliverables are:
· Responsibility for leading site level food safety and compliance support
across the Amazon network, in North America.
· Responsibility for leading centralized programs to standardize and
implement retail food safety and compliance standards systematically, across
all relevant food businesses within Amazon.
· Strong ability to risk assess operations processes within sites and
distribution channels to determine required food safety and compliance
interventions, auditing mechanisms, and Regulatory impacts of business
models. Working with Legal, provide food safety and compliance direction to
Operations, to meet standards and requirements.
· Demonstrated ability to make high-judgement decisions, under pressure.
· Lead a team including Regional Food Safety Managers responsible for
implementing, managing, training and coaching sites and stores; and a team of
Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), and Program Managers (PMs) focused on
defining, developing, and managing programs to support compliance of food
safety programs within sites and stores. Ensure documentation of policies,
standards, and SOPs, and the creation/implementation of training to drive
food safety program execution.
· Oversight of program requirements to maintain food safety standards within
sites, including: Pest Control, auditing, temperature monitoring,
chemical/sanitation and janitorial services and provider-requirements (food
safety statements of work). Drive calibration of all programs, whether
managed by a third-party, or internally, to ensure proper calibration and
program requirements are achieved.
· Lead and manage Request for Proposal (RFP) processes, calibration
processes, and verification processes for third party food safety and
sanitation service providers.
· Responsibility for ensuring on-going continuous improvement programs (both
internal and external) are developed, fully implemented, are
robustly audited, and are evaluated using data/reporting.
· Direct teams to develop strategies to improve program efficacy and
compliance, generating continuous improvement opportunities, to include short
term and long term strategies including technology.
· Determine resourcing requirements and strategy to scale site/store and
program support effectively. Responsible for managing resourcing requests
with business partners and internal teams, and for driving adoption of food
safety requirements/resources into new and emerging business concepts within
the scope of the team.
· Working with cross-functional teams, legal, and other partner food
safety/compliance teams, define, and execute Crisis Management programs
throughout the business models, ensuring risk
mitigation and regulatory compliance requirements are achieved/exceeded.
· Write and edit business review documents to update business stakeholders
about the Food Safety and Compliance initiatives and performance of their
· Ensure independent consultant reviews and test protocols are conducted to
validate processes, as relevant;
· Create and monitor business metrics to track compliance and process
effectiveness and define cadence of reporting to businesses and stakeholder
· Manage benchmarking studies against equivalent programs to ensure industry
best practices are achieved/exceeded.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Food
Science, Nutrition, Chemistry, Biology, or related field, and a minimum of 8
years of experience managing Food Safety and Quality in a large scale retail
grocery, foodservice or manufacturing environment;
· OR Master’s Degree in related field, and 7 years of experience managing
Food Safety and Quality in a large scale retail grocery, foodservice or
· Experience managing people/teams that are based in the field;
· Knowledge of retail food safety regulations (local, state, FDA, USDA);
· Experience with US food regulatory labeling requirements, particularly
relevant to retail;
· Strong verbal and written communication skills;
· Exceptional organizational skills;
· Ability to work independently and autonomously;
· Experience leveraging technology to drive process improvements;
· Demonstrated collaborative skills and ability to work well within a team,
including adherence to core values and dynamic corporate culture;
· Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and reporting;
· Demonstrated experience creating sustainable processes;
· Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 40%.
10+ years of experience in Retail Food Safety Programs at a large grocery
retailer or foodservice company;
· Experience in leading/managing internal auditing programs,
chemical/sanitation programs, and/or janitorial programs, including Request
for Proposal (RFP) processes, calibration processes, and verification
· Knowledgeable about microbiology as it relates to a food environment;
· Experience building technical requirements for software automation and
· Experience building food safety systems relevant to retail that improve
metrics over time;
· Global work experience;
· Experience with industry organizations;
· Lean Six Sigma/FMEA experience.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer -
Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation