This position is responsible for the development
of new products and adaptation of existing products to meet the
requirements of SunOpta consumer products and SunOpta customer products.
Essential Duties and
· Develop products that meets customer’s specifications
targets from conception to commercialization.
· Research and development of long-term projects and key
· Manage and complete assigned
research & development projects within specified timelines.
· Develop products within cost parameters as required.
· Responsibilities include formulation, bench top, and
scale up to full production volume.
· Oversee pilot and start-up, adapting formulas and
processes as required.
· Conduct function and/or sensory evaluation on new
ingredients, flavors and finished products, including shelf studies.
· Complete required commercialization documents.
· Establish product specifications on new products and
update as needed.
· Develop and update nutritionals and other labeling
· Ensure new products are in compliance
with all regulations and certifications.
· Collaborate with technical team on establishing product
certifications (ex. organic, non-GMO).
· Work with Procurement to source new quality and cost effective ingredients and complete documentation
including specifications on new raw materials.
· Gain and share technical knowledge keeping informed of
new technologies, ingredients, products and processes.
· Provide product information and technical support to
· Provide technical support and training to Sales,
Quality Assurance and Production departments.
· Effectively communicate with sales and marketing on
Minimum of Bachelors degree in Food
Science, Nutrition, Chemistry, Biology or related. Min. five years of experience in research
and product development.
Preferred Experience – Frozen Fruit or Stabilized Fruit Formulation
Estimated 15-20% travel
to manufacturing facilities
Approximately; 85% of work is
performed in an office environment.
15% of work may involve being in the agricultural or manufacturing
note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive
listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the
employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change
at any time with or without notice
is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Employer does not discriminate in employment and no question on this
application is used for the purpose of limiting or excusing any applicant’s consideration
for employment on a basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.