Albertsons-Safeway Company is one of the largest food and drug
retailers with 2,300+ stores. The Albertsons-Safeway family of brands
includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a
growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity,
spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S.
The Corporate Own Brands Product Development Department has an opening for
a Food Technologist II. This position is located in Dublin, California.
Technical support for all food product development activities. High
emphasis on documentation, record keeping, reporting, sample storage, and
sample demonstration preparation. Function allows staff to focus on
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• New Product Development Projects - Assist Product Development Managers by
managing documentation and new food product demonstrations across multiple
categories. Receive, log, and store food product sample submissions. Create
and distribute demonstration reports to functional team.
• Manufacturing Specifications - Communicate with material suppliers to
obtain specifications and convert them to Safeway manufacturing format.
Collaborate with Strategic Sourcing to manage flow of information. Draft
new manufacturing specifications in Safeway specifications database. Route
specifications for approval.
• Finished Product Specifications - Draft new finished product
specifications in Safeway specifications database, including NLEA and ingredient
statements, based on input from Product Development Managers and Strategic
Sourcing. Route specifications for approval.
• Nutritional Database - Acquire nutrition information from Safeway plants
and Suppliers (ingredient and finished goods) and enter data into Genesis
(nutritional database program).
• Specifications Database - Assist Product Development Managers by managing
and updating product files in SpecConnect
(specification database system).
• Degree in Food Science, Chemical Engineering or a similar discipline
• Experience 3 to 6 years plus the education listed above.
• Thorough knowledge of food manufacturing equipment and food
• Thorough understanding of food Safety and microbiology.
• Thorough understanding of ingredient functionality and product
• Working knowledge of packaging technology to evaluate adequacy of
• Working knowledge of food labeling regulations.
• Working knowledge of sensory evaluation procedures
• Excellent time management skills, sense of urgency and desire to complete
all assignments on a timely basis.
• Ability to shift priorities.
• Able to operate simple chemical and analytical tools and laboratory
equipment (refractometer, pH meter, simple titrations, and various
• Working knowledge of web based applications, Microsoft Office, and
Genesis nutritional database software.
• Keen interest in food product development.
• Less than 15%
Respond to: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by
Diversity is fundamental at Albertsons-Safeway. We foster an inclusive
working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each
employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful
relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible
through the diversity of our people. A diverse workforce leads to better
teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Albertsons-Safeway policy is to provide employment, training,
compensation, promotion and other conditions of employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital
status or any other legally protected status.
We support a drug-free workplace – all applicants offered a position are
required to pass a pre-employment drug test before they are hired.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER