The Quality Assurance
Manager oversees the implementation of the Food Safety plan, product
quality testing and all associated records- including Certificates of
Analysis. Maintain accurate records of sample and new product testing,
including current product specifications and requirements. Oversee grain
testing and coordinate the grading and testing with the USDA. The QA
Manager will be designated as both the FDA Preventive Controls Qualified
Individual (PCQI) and the SQF Practitioner / Implementer and will be responsible
for the implementing and maintaining the Food Safety / SQF program for that
location, including all records and quality procedures This position
reports directly to the Food Safety Director with accountability to the
Food Safety, Quality
Assurance, and Testing
- Create and harbor Food Safety
and Quality Culture among production, management, and outside vendors.
- Ensure Food Safety and Food
Defense at the Mill
- Responsible for the quality
testing to ensure all products meet quality standards. Oversee
communication of results to production team.
- Keep current product
specification, standard operating procedures (SOP) and certificates of
analysis (COA) on file.
- Oversee the keeping of control
samples for all products, filed in an orderly manner.
- Oversee the quality testing
such as: Ro-tap, moisture, protein, flake thickness, visual analysis,
etc. and ensure the production process is in control.
- Assist in maintaining all
quality records including the records that are pertinent to product
traceability. Carry out traceability exercises as assigned.
- Manage department funds per
approved annual budget
- Ensure the maintenance of all
lab equipment and lab area is in a clean and orderly condition.
- Oversee lab testing including
vomitoxin tests, allergen swabbing, micro testing and other industry
testing as requested.
- Oversee the Environmental
Monitoring of the Mill
- Conduct internal auditing and
oversee corrective actions.
- Auditing of process /
production records and documentation, quality, pest control, and
shipping documentation and records. Oversee control and storage of
documentation and records.
- Conduct Noncompliance
assessments of products with the Production manager to determine hold
and/or disposition of products.
- Conduct Customer Complaint
investigations and oversee the root cause analysis and corrective
- Assist in the coordination of
- Oversee additional Food Safety
and Quality projects as assigned.
guidelines and ensure that all incoming grain is within quality
- Coordinate with the production
manager and the grain buyer (JC Management) the schedule and
specifications of bulk grains for production needs.
- Determine minimum inventory
levels of grain and maintain the bin status report.
- Report the Grain Stocks
quarterly to the USDA
certification program that will ensure incoming grain is within quality
- Work with brokers to keep
growers and sellers informed of purchasing requirements and new
- Keep grain bin assignments
designated for proper grain storage.
- Maintain specification sheets.
- Attend Industry meetings and
organize annual growers meeting.
- Network with experts and potential
vendors / customers.
- Communicate needs
- Assist in the interview process
for new quality assurance employees.
- Responsible for the writing
Standard operation procedures (SOPs) for Quality Assurance Department
- Ensure that the on the job
training and job specific training of personnel is completed and
properly recorded in employees training record.
- Conduct the yearly review
evaluations for review of performance and Goal setting for employees.
- Responsible for a monthly one
on one meeting with all quality personnel to discuss and set goals,
develop job skills, review training and celebrate goals reached.
- Ensure cross training of
personnel to provide maximum efficiency and flexibility.
- Advise employees of any changes
in work schedules and overtime as needed.
New product testing
- Responsible for monitoring the
processing of all new sample product runs by working side by side with
the Mill Operators as new products are run.
- Keep accurate records of new
product testing on file for review including:
used and production screens and settings.
2.Ro-tap testing and
screens sizes used.
3.Other test information
such as color, texture, moisture etc.
review and implementation of all Quality/Food Safety policies and
procedures and customer or third party audits.
- Be a certified SQF
- Be HACCP Certified
- Obtain Preventive Controls
Qualified Individual certification.
- Oversee Organics Program and
Kosher Program at the Mill
- Coordinate the Training for
Food Safety, SQF, GMP, HACCP training
- Assess customer requirements of
processes and products
- Oversee and coordinate Vendor
visits and Customer visits
- Implement food safety
procedures and protocols.
- Provide technical information
- Sales personnel
- Production and Mill Team
- Suppliers and Growers
Responsible for the
sanitation department personnel and activities
- Report KPI’s and needs for the
sanitation department to the Division Manager
- Ensure sanitation department
tasks are being completed on time
- Verify completed documentation
of sanitation activities
- Annual Review of Master
- Manage and oversee sanitation
- Ensure all Company and division
safety policies are followed
- Ensure that all required
training are completed for the sanitation
- Manage sanitation schedule and
- Allocating needed resources to
complete task on time
- HACCP and SQF certified,
familiarity with micro testing, and food safety recall protocols.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in
- Excellent computer proficiency
(MS Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Food safety experience, with
strong working knowledge of US food manufacturing including Good
Manufacturing Practice (GMP)’s, SOP’s, HACCP, SQF, Food Safety
Modernization Act (FSMA) readiness and compliance, auditing and
inspections as well as environmental guidelines.
- Previous experience in
assisting with designing and implementing a food safety and quality
- Strong understanding of
National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standards and sanitary design
requirements for food equipment.
- Strong background in leadership
and talent development.
- Continuous improvement and Lean
- Must be able to travel as
- Bilingual English/Spanish a
- Bachelors degree in food science or food
process engineering preferred or equivalent combination of
Job Type: Full-time
- Quality Assurance: 2 years