R&D Food Science Internship - Fairmont, MN
Full-time, Part-time, Internship
Group, a family-owned company, has earned the trust of our business partners
through integrity, quality and value. These principles date from our founding
in 1947, and remain at the forefront of our business philosophy today. With
locations in Southern Minnesota, we have grown to be one of the largest
employers in the area. Come join our family of talented and hardworking team
2 Food Scientist Internships are available:
- Fairmont Foods, Inc, Fairmont Minnesota: This facility produces
prepared meals and chopped/formed protein products. Preferred candidates
will be pursuing either a Culinology of Food
- Tony Downs Foods, Madelia,
This facility produces shelf stable and IQF ingredient proteins.
Preferred candidates will be pursing either a Meat Science or Food
As a Food Scientist Intern you will gain hands on experience in our R&D
labs and production facilities applying what you have learned in the
classroom. You will interact with all levels and departments in our Company
and work alongside our R&D team.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
• Develop bench-top prototypes, identify ingredients, document product
specifications, scale-up products into manufacturing setting, and coordinate
product analysis (sensory, nutritional, challenge studies, etc.) as needed.
• Design and execute appropriate testing methodologies to validate changes to
raw materials, formulations, and process. Coordinate testing plans with food
safety, regulatory, quality and operations. Generate written reports,
interpret results, and make next step recommendations.
• Provide technical support in determining root cause and finding solutions
for problems in food products such as sensory, quality, or consistency
issues. Participate on cross-functional teams to identify areas of
opportunity in cost reduction, yield improvement, and formulation/process
improvement and efficiencies.
• Work towards Bachelor of Science degree in Meat Science, Food Science, Culinology or related field
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Comfortable in a fast paced, changing environment
• Must be able to communicate effectively with various manufacturing and
marketing functional groups
• Must be flexible and able to work well in a team environment
EEO/Veteran Friendly Employer