Scientist - Confectionary Sciences / Food Science - Salt Lake City, UT
Long-term Contract Opportunity with
our direct client!!
- The R&D Formulation
Scientist Ė VMS is responsible for the development of new gummy products
and processes in support of Company dietary supplement business
- Applies principles of consumer
healthcare product development to formulate dietary supplements with
delightful sensorial characteristics. Within given timelines, executes
all aspects of formulation from bench top to pilot-scale to define
manufacturing-scale processes. Provides technical support for these
- Responsible for translating
product specifications into holistic, multi-sensorial and effective
products that are able to be manufactured at target costs.
* Product lines are focused on
confectionary delivery formats (e.g., gummies) that have consumer appeal.
- Partner with project manager
and project representatives from Regulatory, Medical/Clinical,
Marketing, Quality Assurance, Technical, and Supply to deliver product
development milestones against time line, budgets and defined quality
- Develop target product profile
and critical quality attributes.
Independently design and execute experimental work to test hypotheses at
bench top, pilot plant and plant level and obtain valid results
consistent with project objectives. Analyze data to provide a relevant
interpretation, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate
recommendations for active projects. Recommend next steps to move
project over technical hurdles.
Author technical protocols, reports
and dossiers for regulatory submissions
* Understand ingredient interactions and their implication on product
* Understand the benefit and functionality of raw ingredients as they
pertain to finished products.
* Review ingredient, process and finished product specifications and
nutrition/supplemental facts panels and labels.
- Assist in the creation and
execution of descriptive and comparative sensory protocols to
characterize product sensory attributes and quantify differences.
Understand statistical design for comparative studies. Analyze data and
make recommendations based on statistical methods. Utilize
sensory/consumer data to refine product formulation.
- Bachelorís Degree (Masterís
preferred) in a scientific major, ideally Food Science, with 4+ years
relevant experience in appropriate discipline and/or measurable business
and technical accomplishments.
* Minimum 3 years of successful
interacting effectively with key functional and business partners (Project
Management, Regulatory, Medical/Clinical, Marketing, Quality Assurance,
Product Supply, and Management) to solve problems, negotiate use of limited
resources and resolve conflicts.
* Track record of successful delivery of products intended to be
experienced during consumption (candies, snacks, chews, gummies) using a
variety of technologies.
* Broad knowledge base of confectionary sciences and processing preferred.
- Solid experience with process
design and equipment selection.
* Strong understanding of the
product development process from concept ideation to launch.
* Proven project management skills.
* Strong formulation knowledge and understanding of chemical interactions.
- Understanding of Intellectual
Property, Licensing, and Competitive Intelligence
- Proficient with Microsoft
Office Suite - Windows, Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word.
Job Type: Contract
- relevant with food science /
confectionary sciences: 3 years (Required)