R&D Food Technologist – Santa Rosa, CA
To: VP, Culinary
R&D Food Technologist will be creative, organized and an excellent
communicator. They will be responsible for consulting on process development,
product improvement, scale-up from bench to production and all communication
and documentation between R&D and the other departments. This position
reports to the VP, Culinary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES may include the following. Other
duties may be assigned.
- Provides technical expertise and
communicates technical progress for assigned projects
- Plans, organizes and leads
experiments in the laboratory, pilot plant, plant trials and
- Creates and maintains
formulations, specifications, processes, and testing procedures
- Records, compiles and analyzes
test results and writes report
- Understands product cost drivers
and opportunities for improvements
- Manages assigned internal R&D
projects utilizing scientific protocols and food science
- Maintain full and accurate
documentation of all R&D related activities.
- Effective at scale up from bench
to production floor of new products.
- Operates and maintains
instruments essential for gathering information for the development of
new products as well as interpret data from equipment.
- Provides support to the
Operations Team on efficiency initiatives, alternate ingredient testing
and sourcing and validation of new ingredients.
- Interacts with Marketing, Raw
Materials, Planning, Manufacturing, QA and other departments to ensure
proper project execution.
- Effectively communicate and
provide technical support to Sales, Quality Assurance and Production
- Interface with R&D team,
management group, QA and production personnel on as needed basis.
- Manage and complete assigned
research & development projects within specified timelines.
- Oversee pilot and start-up
batches, adapting formulas and processes as required.
- Establish product specifications
on new products and update as needed.
- Ensure new products are in compliance with all regulations and
- Effectively communicate with R&D
Manager on projects
- It is the responsibility of all
employees to uphold the mission of the Amy’s Food Safety and Quality
Policy. This includes following all Food Safety and Sustainability
programs and participating in all required training.
does not directly supervise other Amy’s employees.
this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the
knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Knowledge of food chemistry,
microbiology, composition, analysis, processes and regulations
- Strong technical skills and good
relevant industrial experience
- Solid culinary foundation with a
background in food science principles
- Strong attention to detail and
meticulous in paperwork preparation
- Good understanding of production
and process scale up
- Ability to develop and execute
action plans for each project including experimental design, bench top,
pilot plant, plant trials and commercialization
- Ability to evaluate and utilize
technical information from internal and external sources
- Ability to lead development and
implementation of key product improvements, productivity initiatives,
new products and line extensions
- Ability to work with suppliers to
identify technical solutions
- Strong interpersonal and
- Excellent organization and
communication skills and computer literacy
- Must be able to work with minimal
- Bachelor’s degree in Food
Science, Food Technology or relevant field, or an equivalent
combination of education and experience.
- 1-3 years of food industry
experience with a strong food background
- Ability to read, analyze and
interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports,
technical bulletins, specifications and legal documents.
- Ability to effectively present
information to all levels of management and to suppliers
- Ability to speak Spanish is
preferred, but not required.